Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk disaster-now what?!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JLmusic99

JLmusic99

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

Okay, computer died , but here's my latest problem :thumbsup: :

I wanted to get some files from the Windows XP drive from the dead computer. Checked internet forums such as this one...should be no problem...

so I put the drive in an older computer, and the computer started booting and then nothing happened...so I took it out and set it to slave (from cable select)...turned it on, and the computer went into chkdsk mode...

uh oh...first it said deleting orphan files, then :inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 25., thenrecovering files...on and on it went !!

Finally Windows came up, and said something about rebooting for the new hardware, but I didn't do that yet. The drive seems to be intact!! But not entirely, there are definitely files and folders missing. Apparently this all happened because the drive is over the 137 gb limit.

So what should I do now??? I'm backing up what I want that's there...seems to be working. Can I get what's missing? Should I restart? What shouldn't I do?

Thanks for any help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JLmusic99

JLmusic99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

The drive is 228 GB NTFS.

Right clicking on it says 179 GB is used, and 48.9 GB is free, but I think only around 127 GB is there, not sure if it is all working correctly.

But that means around 52 GB is missing.

Any help as to what I should and shouldn't do greatly appreciated.

Or if this isn't the correct forum, any info on where to get help with this greatly appreciated.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:26 AM

Any help as to what I should and shouldn't do greatly appreciated.

Or if this isn't the correct forum, any info on where to get help with this greatly appreciated.

WELCOME to BleepingComputer Forums. This forum will do just nicely.

You may get a better idea about what you should/should not do in this excellent article:

DjLizard's data recovery guide
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Data_Recovery

A lot depends on whether the hard drive is suffering physical failure or simply data corruption.
The first thing that you should do is to check that your hard drive is not failing.
Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with it, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test. If the hard drive test shows no problem with the hard drive, then it is safe to proceed with more work to rectify the problem with the file system and recover your data.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 JLmusic99

JLmusic99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

Hello, thank you for the reply!

It's been awhile since I asked the question so I'm already trying some things.

If I could get a quick reply to one question...

right now I'm making a disk image using Active File Recovery, but this software sees the hard drive as only 128 GB!!

Am I wasting my time making a disk image (which is going to take forever!)??

I can't help but think I'm in the same situation as this person who simply had to install Service Pack 2 and then their drive was seen correctly. The computer I'm using has Service Pack 1.

Chdsk deleting orphan files etc

Perhaps I should abort the disk image and install service pack 2?

Thank you!

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:05 AM

Quick reply, I can manage sometimes: Quick and ill-considered answers I try to avoid.

Sorry, can't make the process any quicker, by answering that question definitively, based on the information available.
Cloning does not take "forever" ... and patience is a virtue. If your data recovery is important, be patient! After that is done, you will be able to answer your own question, by trial and error, without the risk of losing your data.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:27 AM

Personally, I would just backup the important stuff to a flash drive or another hard drive

#7 JLmusic99

JLmusic99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:55 AM

Quick reply, I can manage sometimes: Quick and ill-considered answers I try to avoid.

Sorry, can't make the process any quicker, by answering that question definitively, based on the information available.
Cloning does not take "forever" ... and patience is a virtue. If your data recovery is important, be patient! After that is done, you will be able to answer your own question, by trial and error, without the risk of losing your data.

Believe me, I have patience....

Obviously not forever, but in a couple of hours time it's copied a little more than about 1 GB...so at around that rate it would take either 128 hours (which, seems to me, would be pointless, because I need to get to the missing GBs), or 228 hours...

#8 JLmusic99

JLmusic99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:57 AM

Personally, I would just backup the important stuff to a flash drive or another hard drive

I have been...really important stuff was already backed up, and I've been backing up whatever else...

the trouble is the 50 missing Gb that is not being recognized...I'd kind of like to get to that...

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:10 AM

in a couple of hours time it's copied a little more than about 1 GB

That does not sound as though things are going as they should.

If I recall correctly, creating a disk image of my "normal SP1" Windows system disk (128GB), using an external USB hard drive with only USB1.1 transfer rate to receive the image ... takes about 18 hours. (That is just a file image, with compression, not a sector by sector image.)

I do not know what the best course of action to advise may be. However, I could understand you aborting the imaging process if it was proceeding that slowly.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

You might install SP3...if you want to overcome the 137GB hard drive recognition barrier.

SP3 has been out for a couple of years now...affords protection that a system without it...cannot have.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users