Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMP plays only audio on AVI files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 clueless55

clueless55

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:01 PM

I've got a large collection of ice skating videos on CD. A good many of them are in the AVI format.

The AVIs used to play exactly right on my computer but suddenly I have no video, just audio.

Mine is probably related to a codec, but I have no idea which codec might be required to take care of this issue.

I tried the AC3 Filter which didn't cure my problem.

Many thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:11 PM

Download K-Lite Mega Codec pack. It has lots of codecs.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite..._Codec_Pack.htm

#3 clueless55

clueless55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for this input!

I downloaded the designated codec pack but it didn't solve my problem. Maybe it isn't a codec problem after all.

I'd be interested in knowing any other suggestions relative to this mystery.

#4 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

Windows media player sometimes hiccups for me as well and through the years ive noticed it better to switch media players than undertake the work to fix WMP every time there is a glitch. I would recommend VLC player to you (www.videolan.org). It plays almost every format/codec out of the box including your AVI files.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

Try running a different player like VLC Media Player ( http://www.videolan.org ) as suggested by tenz above. Or the Media Player Classic that comes with K-Lite Codec pack. VLC Media Player does not require any codecs (uses inbuilt ones) so it should be playing in any case.

Also try using Fimerit ( http://paul.glagla.free.fr/filmerit_en.htm ) to diagnose and repair codec errors as described on the Filmerit page.

#6 clueless55

clueless55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:31 PM

Romeo29 and tenz, you are my heros!

I downloaded the video player and the videos I could see but couldn't hear were actually all there -- audio AND video!

Hopefully, codecs won't be an issue in the future but I'll keep your responses so I can download that codec program if I ever need it.

A thousand thanks to you guys!
:thumbsup:

#7 Gwebzor

Gwebzor

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

Ah thank you! I was having this exact same problem and that video player solved it. Thanks! (:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users