Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 girlfriend

girlfriend

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:01 PM

:thumbsup: I don't know anything about computers other than surfing the net. A friend of mine installed firefox so I wouldn't have problems with pop-ups. I am getting loads of pop-ups from internet explorer. Is there a way to remove all traces of Internet Explorer from this computer? What else can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:17 PM

Internet Explorer is an integral part of the Microsoft Operating System that you are using and uninstalling it or even attempting to do so will render your op system useless.

You can set Firefox as your default browser, but do not even attempt to remove IE.

Firefox, and several other browsers by the way, do not have the ability to download Microsoft updates because they do not have Active X, which is probably the reason you think it might be better, but it has other vulnerabilities which will undoubtedly be exploited when the miscreants who write malicious code begin to pay attention to Firefox/Mozilla.

You have been infected by malware because of your not taking the proper precautions - not because of Internet Explorer. If you are interested in cleaning the infection and learning how to protect your computer from becoming continually reinfected we will be happy to help you.

Let us know.

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:22 PM

Hi girlfriend, :thumbsup: to BC

IE is pretty entwined into your Windows operating system so trying to remove it would not be all that good an idea. You also need IE to update your Windows software. Just don't use IE unless you need to and you should be alright.

If you are getting popups from IE, my first guess would be that you have already picked up something from the net which has infected your computer. Go to this link and follow the instructions in this thread;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...cted-t2520.html

This will intail some reading on your part but fully understanding how to protect yourself on the web can be hard work. It is worth your time though because being safe on the internet isn't as easy as changing your browser.

You may also want to run a couple of these virus scans to see if you are infected or not;

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.pcpitstop.com/freescan/

If you are infected, just post back and ask for help.

Good Luck

Ron

Edited by Ronbo, 31 July 2005 - 02:23 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:25 PM

No you should not remove Internet Explorer.
It is to embedded in your operating system. Removing it will make your computer inoperable!

Introduction to Mozilla, part 3 Firefox Basic functions, commands and how to stop popups

An introduction to Mozilla Firefox, part 1
Posted Image

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:16 PM

If you are receiving any sort of pop-ups there is no, if, &'s, or but's about it, you are infected with some sort of adware &/or malware.

Follow Ronbo's suggestions and get your computer cleaned up.

Edited by River_Rat, 31 July 2005 - 03:16 PM.

#6 girlfriend

girlfriend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks for all the responses. I will take the advice!

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:28 PM

You are welcome. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 flann

flann

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:37 PM

I don't normally have great things to say about microsoft products, but when I had spyware problems, I downloaded microsoft's new spyware remover. I've had no problems since, and its free. There is also a video to watch, http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users