Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop heat up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nikhil14

nikhil14

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:59 AM

hi,
i have an HP dv4000 laptop which i bought in 2006. it has an Intel Centrino 1.86Ghz and i have upgraded the RAM to 2GB. Recently my laptop began heating up..especially the top right hand corner on its reverse( guessing thats where the processor is placed). I was using a cooling fan to sort this problem, and sort it did until now. Now it crashes within 15 minutes of it starting up. The laptop has no viruses. I'm dead sure of that. What do i do about this? Is it possible that my processor has become too old that the newer programs require it to work more? bcoz most of the times the CPU usage is 100%!!! i'm still thinking of removing the panel behind and cleaning the vent and check of it is working too,but i just cant find that six-pronged screw driver!!
Plz.. anybody.. any suggestions????

cheers
nikhil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

Well you may need to replace the HSF.
I'm not sure if I should recommend you do this, though. It's very difficult to open a laptop. You would also need to scrape off the thermal paste from the processor and replace it with new thermal paste. If you take it to geek squad (or somewhere similar) it might cost you more than it would for a new one.

If you REALLY want to try it yourself, you would need these.
HSF
Thermal paste
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:30 AM

Before getting extreme; how about cleaning the dust wads off of the heatsink. Here is an illustarted article for a DV4000: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...789&lang=en
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:42 AM

Agreed with all of the above taking laptop apart can be daunting. However if you are inclined I have a few pointers, follow a manual, keep some sandwich baggies handy with a permanent marker and keep track of where the screws go, if your really nervous take lots of pictures with your digital camera so you can remember how it goes back together. If the computer wont stay on its likely a bad fan on the heat sink or dust build up.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

..........most of the times the CPU usage is 100%!!!

This indicates a probable software related problem. Two many programs running at start-up, a poorly written program hogging CPU time.

Lap top coolers are pretty good to keep a healthy properly running lap top in a cooler running condition. How ever if their is a thermal related problem then they only prove to be band-aids\temporary fixes. As you noted, you got the cooler because it was getting hot, it helped for a while but the problem has returned. Actually it never left, and has gotten worse.

After following the advice given then I feel it is time to check your running processes and try to trim them down.

You also said you know you are not infected. The symptoms you stated, 100% CPU usage, points to to the contrary, perhaps.

#6 nikhil14

nikhil14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:34 AM

thanx evrybody for ur suggestion! i just got my laptop back from d service centre. I have replaced the heat sink and cooling fan,and they have also cleaned the interior, and this seems to have worked wonders! Not only do i not need the cooling pad, my laptop works better than ever. My fan had stopped working all together, hence it left me no choice but to give it for service. Also used to CCleaner to get rid of unwanted startup programs and registry errors. My laptop works perfect now! Thanx agn evrybdy! :thumbsup:

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

Glad its all working :flowers: .. Dust Bunnies can get quite mean when left unattended. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users