Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp issues, i think with .net

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 madsam64

madsam64

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

Good morning, afternoon, or evening dependent on when you read this. So my boss has a way with computers. Her computer is now acting very erratically. It started yesterday morning. She closed out her outlook and wound up with an error message relating to avast antivirus (I love avast!) Avast's on access scanning was disabled off of this error and there was the little red slash at the bottom of the blue ball (pun not intended). So I assumed that avast maybe did not download an update fully. When i clicked on the avast ball, i got an RPC error message. Maybe i should have come here first but after a restart and another error message referencing this "sorttbls.nlp" file which seems to link to .net framework, then there were huge hangs, like monstrous hangs that wouldnt allow me to do anything. I started in safemode with networking, downloaded avast's uninstaller as i blamed an issue with them, and uninstalled avast. I rebooted and while the system booted up quite quickly, i now had error messages relating to a program we use called "ACT" for customer management software and outlook. I then started to think outlook was to blame and plan on re installing outlook tomorrow. That being said, I attempted to update using windows update and make sure all critical patches were in, and I was not able to install all of the updates. I told her that everything was ok and we would re install office this week and see if that helps things out but she was up and running and running smoothly.

This morning the print que hung, something that happens quite often with our pos printer here, and i wound up havng to restart the printer as well as her computer to free everytning up. when i restarted the computer, the hang time once again came back and avast once again had the red slash in the ball, no active protection, so i took the decision to uninstall avast and act to get rid of those errors she was receiving (she doesnt handle error messages well and panics). At that point upon rebooting, all error messages went away except for "external component has thrown an exception" (i forgot to mention that this was one of 4 error messages i was getting, the rest were 2 for act! and 1 for the sorttbls.nlp error. So anyways, i thought ok, lets attempt windows update again and when i attempted, it wont let me through. I can browse the internet with internet explorer, though we use firefox, but as soon as i try to go to the update site, i get shut down "internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down."

so am i on the right path with thinking it is .net framework? if so, how do i go about fixing it/them and which one to i attack?

God bless
Will

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

Lot of issues, with varying programs. That would suggest "hardware" initially to me. Including CMOS battery.

Have you bothered to check Event Viewer for clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

FWIW: If think MS.NET is a problem...uninstall all current versions (using Add/Remove Programs) and install the latest version (3.5, SP1).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users