Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to prevent viruses from entering USB drives

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kunal Shah

Kunal Shah

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:14 AM

Is there any method/software which can prevent viruses from entering USB drives from an infected computer?

One of them i use is Flash_Disinfector.exe which creates an autorun.inf folder on the USB drive preventing bad autorun.inf scripts.

Any other method/software anyone knows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

Another software I know is Panda USB Vaccine.
http://research.pandasecurity.com/archive/...un-Vaccine.aspx

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

How to use Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine
  • After downloading, double-click on USBVaccineSetup.exe to install the program to C:\Program Files\Panda USB Vaccine.
  • Read and accept the license agreement, then click Next.
  • When setup completes, make sure "Launch Panda USB Vaccine" is checked and click Finish to open the program.
  • Click the Vaccinate computer button. It should now show a green checkmark and confirm Computer vaccinated.
  • Hold down the Shift key and insert your USB flash drive.
  • When the name of the drive appears in the dialog box, click the button to Vaccinate USB drive(s).
  • Exit the program when done
Note: Computer Vaccination will prevent any AutoRun file from running, regardless of whether the removable device is infected or not. USB Vaccination disables the autorun file so it cannot be read, modified or replaced and creates an AUTORUN_.INF as protection against malicious code. The Panda Resarch Blog advises that once USB drives have been vaccinated, they cannot be reversed except with a format. If you do this, be sure to back up your data files first or they will be lost during the formatting process.

Edited by quietman7, 20 October 2009 - 02:06 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:19 PM

Actually latest Panda USB Vaccine does not come in a Zip archive that you extract in a folder. Now it comes with an installer. You run the setup and it gets installed on your PC. But rest works as quietman7 has said.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

Thanks Romeo29 :thumbsup:

I updated my instructions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

DITTO :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Kunal Shah

Kunal Shah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:53 AM

Vaccinate means ONLY to disable autorun.inf ????
I already have disabled autorun.inf on my computer by smart virus remover.

But what i want is some software which will prevent common viruses like new folder.exe, recycle.exe, restore.exe, regvsr.exe from entering USB drives from an infected computer.

Does creating an folder named new folder.exe and making it read-only prevent new folder.exe?

#8 broady59

broady59

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

You can purchase a USB stick with a read/write protect switch. I recently purchased a 16 gig one. Very safe if just needed for using your files on another system without infecting your stick. Got mine from Newegg.

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:54 AM

Thanks, broady59 I hadn't thought of that. A read only drive is fine, but as you mention it can't be used to transfer files from another computer. I know a lot of techs load their flash drives with cleanup tools and take it with them to clean up infected computers, which is a good way to use such a drive. But most people won't limit themselves to that so it's better to have some kind of protection.

Vaccinate means ONLY to disable autorun.inf ????
I already have disabled autorun.inf on my computer by smart virus remover.

But what i want is some software which will prevent common viruses like new folder.exe, recycle.exe, restore.exe, regvsr.exe from entering USB drives from an infected computer.

Does creating an folder named new folder.exe and making it read-only prevent new folder.exe?

Not really, there is too much malware using autorun on Flash drives to try to prevent in that way and setting files to read only is easily defeated. Besides, the protection provided by Flash Disinfector will prevent those files from ever executing. I've explained how this works in another post: Click here

The weakness of any malware is that it has to shut down when you turn off or restart your computer. You won't knowingly reopen the malware program so it has to set itself to load automatically when windows starts. That is what is known as a loading point. You can have all kinds of nasty malware files present on your drives, but they won't affect you if they aren't running/loaded into memory. Similarly, you won't knowingly run the malware present on a Flash Drive--that's done by the autorun "feature" of Windows and the autorun.inf file that can be written by malware. The autorun.inf file is the loading point. In my post I compare the autorun.inf file to a gun--the bullets (the malware files) are useless without the gun. Or, if you prefer, another analogiy would be that disabling autorun is like cutting off the head--the body is still there but it's dead and won't do anything.

I can understand why you would want to keep malicious files from getting on your Flash drives in the first place, but with the inoculation of Flash Disinfector in place, you really don't have to worry about them. The inactive malicious payload files should be easily cleaned up when you scan the drive with your antivirus.

If you really want to keep malicious files off the drive there are a few things you can do. The first is most obvious--simply don't insert your drive into a computer when you have no control of its security. If you don't know if the computer is infected or not, ask who uses it what kind of security they have in place. If they have no antivirus installed then there is a good chance the computer is infected, so don't insert your Flash drive. Second, if you aren't sure or you absolutely have to copy files from that computer, get a scan run on that computer. If you can't get the computer user to do it, then you can use the Flash drive itself. Install ClamWin antivirus on the Flash Drive and then have it scan the computer and the Flash drive.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...oq=&aqi=g10

Or you can wait til you insert the Flash drive back into your computer. Since Flash Disinfector has made it so that the malicious files have no way to load, you can use your own antivirus to scan the drive and clean them up.

In my other post I've listed some other programs that will do what you asked about--but since you have already run Flash Disinfector, you don't really need them.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users