Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Hard Drive Failures

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yossarian23

yossarian23

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:22 AM

I am using a refurbished HP6720y that I bought in late August 2009. Twice in the last 10 days I have had hard drive failures (SMART failure). The drives are WD640 Caviar Blue drives that were provided by HP (one initially with the unit and then a replacement drive). The first drive lasted about 40 days. The 2nd drive didn't even make it a week. HP is telling me that it is the drive and that they will send me another replacement. My concern is that the same thing will happen again.

I find it to be a strange coincidence that two drives have failed so quickly. Is it possible that there is a motherboard issue?

I doubt it is the power supply as I took out the HP 300W PSU and replaced it with a Corsair 400W PSU.

I don't do any gaming or anything else intense on the computer. I primarily do word processing, some video editing and web browsing. For the last week, I didn't even do much of that stuff.

Is there any chance that installing Vista SP2 caused the hard drive failure? I had just run a diagnostic on the drive and it passed. I then installed SP2 and it seemed ok. But shortly thereafter, the drive had begun to fail (I heard clicking and decided to run the diagnostic).

Edited by yossarian23, 20 October 2009 - 09:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

I'd say HP got a bad shipment of hard drives
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 yossarian23

yossarian23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:14 AM

I'd say HP got a bad shipment of hard drives

No chance it is a motherboard issue? I just want to understand if this is likely to be a recurring problem if I decide to put in my own drive.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

I have never heard of a motherboard causing a hard drive failure, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible I suppose. Hard drives are a heck of a lot more prone to failure than motherboards. I can remember way way back in '97 or '98 I bought a box of 10 new OEM WD HDs. Within a month, 7 of that 10 failed and it soured me on WD for a long time. I am over it now.

Cross your fingers, back up your data.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 yossarian23

yossarian23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

I have never heard of a motherboard causing a hard drive failure, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible I suppose. Hard drives are a heck of a lot more prone to failure than motherboards. I can remember way way back in '97 or '98 I bought a box of 10 new OEM WD HDs. Within a month, 7 of that 10 failed and it soured me on WD for a long time. I am over it now.

Cross your fingers, back up your data.

Data was already backed up, especially since my other drive was beginning to fail less than 2 weeks ago. I am resigned to a new installation, etc. I just don't want that to become routine.

My understanding is that this would not be caused by software, correct? When I spoke to someone on the phone from HP last night, she said it could be a software or driver problem. Neither made any sense to me. That being said, I do find it a little strange that the drive errors began shortly after I installed Vista SP2. Can I chalk that up to a strange coincidence?

So I guess the bottom line is that WD has quality control issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users