Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will a new ethernet card fix this problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shayro

Shayro

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:10 PM

My pops has an old dell Dimension XPS t700r with windows 98sp, and he lost his connection to the internet.

He called up his ISP to see if they could ping his computer, which they couldn't and they also gave him a new IP address to see if my dad's pc could get back online, which still didn't work.

The next day I went to this site >>> link

To see if maybe I could follow these steps to fix the problem.

I followed the instructions all the way to What you don't want to have is something like 169.254.x.x

I definitly have that on pops pc. Also according to the instructions if you have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, but pops pc has 255.255.0.0

I am having a very diffulcult time here, understanding all the IP address, Gateway, Subnet ect ect.

I was told if you went to the Internet Protocal Properties and click on Obtain Adress automatically, this would fix this problem. When I go to the Hardware properties it says the ethernet card is working properly. Wouldn't the ethernet card not be working if it's not assigning the addresses incorrectly??

I've basically told my dad that he may have to get a new PC, since this one is over 5 years old.

I know how to follow directions, and I'm pretty good with taking Pops PC apart and together again (I always wear a ground bracelet). Its the applications that drive me crazy. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks. Jason.

Oh PS when I connect my pc to his modem everything works just dandy. So nothing is wrong with his modem, cable ect. It has to do with his PC itself.

Thanks again, Jason

Edited by Shayro, 31 July 2005 - 01:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikex

mikex

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:04 PM

The router/modem hands out IP addresses. Check the lights on the nic (network interface card). Most nics have a green and amber light. Green is good.

169.254.xxx.xxx means your computer is not getting an IP address from the router/modem. This is not a router/modem problem because you said you connected a different machine and surfed.

Problem is most likely the nic. Did you have an electrical storm recently? I have found that nics are "super" sensitive to electricity in the area. The home may not have been hit by lightening.

If you have a nic card in a pci slot (no on board) on your machine you could remove it and install it on the problem machine to troubleshoot.

Mike

#3 Shayro

Shayro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

No I don't remember any electrical storms recently, BUT we do change pc's often so I'm thinking maybe we ended up physically harming the card.

If you have a nic card in a pci slot (no on board) on your machine you could remove it and install it on the problem machine to troubleshoot.

Dunno if my card is compatible with my dads pc. I'll check first before I make that change to see if thats the problem.

I never thought of it that way. Sometimes it takes someone else's view of things

Thanks for the help, I'll reply later to tell ya if it worked.

#4 mikex

mikex

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:39 AM

Get the drivers for the card from the manufacturer before you do ther swap. It'll save some time and you'll be be to be safe than sorry.

M

#5 Shayro

Shayro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:07 AM

Oh snap dude, I never even thought about the drivers. Jeez, its been so long since i've done any hardware instalation.

I won't be able to do any messing around till the weekend. But I'll def let ya know if it worked.

#6 Shayro

Shayro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:02 PM

Hey Mikex if you ever come back to this area to check up on your advice...well it worked. I used my NIC card on my dads to see if that was the case. And it was. tricky little card.

Anyways. Much thanks for your help bud. I really appreciate it.

Any thing I can do for you on your end let me know.

Jason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users