Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reoccurring clickker.cn browser hijacking

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 andypants

andypants

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

Hi all,

I noticed a couple days ago that clickker.cn was hijacking my google queries, so I formatted my system partition and started fresh. (Formatting seemed less of a hassle than the HJT/combofix solutions I saw here.)

Unfortunately, it appears that the malware stuck around despite the format, or else was unleashed again within the first few apps I reinstalled after the format. I suspect it may be the latter.

I'm hoping that you guys might be able to answer a couple general questions:

1. Will this clickker.cn malware stick around despite formatting, or is it probably the case that I foolishly reinstalled it myself? Could it have attached itself to executables on other partitions?

2. Does this malware have a keylogger component? Should I be worried about the fidelity of any logins/passwords I used on the infected machine? (e.g. gmail accounts, online banking, etc.)

(specs: WinXP pro, service pack 3)

Thanks in advice for your help and expert advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:44 PM

Will this clickker.cn malware stick around despite formatting, or is it probably the case that I foolishly reinstalled it myself? Could it have attached itself to executables on other partitions?

Yes
Did you try backing up documents and such to an external hard drive? That would be infected also

Does this malware have a keylogger component? Should I be worried about the fidelity of any logins/passwords I used on the infected machine? (e.g. gmail accounts, online banking, etc.)

It's possible
The new viruses are morphing every day
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users