Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleting unwanted system folders

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 moony

moony

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:28 PM

hi all

i had recently installed nokia pc suite on my computer and after finding out that it was rubbish i deleted it, the problem was it left 2 entries on add/remove (got rid of those now and i will tell how later) and 2 entries on "my computer" page i tried everything i knew and i meen EVERYTHING nothing would delete them, a few forums later and someone posted a link for a program called registrar lite (you might know it) it found over 800 nokia entries in my registry, i got it down to 250ish but then it said access denide so i decide it was best to leave them alone lol, anyway it got rid of the 2 entries on add/remove and the nokia name on the 2 entries on "my computer" but left the system folder icons there, now i know these may not be causing any problem att all but i just wanted them gone it seems ive come so far in deleting everything else to just forget about these 2 little annoying entries so if anyone knows how to get rid of them i would be eternaly greatfull.

if all that sounds like a lot of words just thrown together then let me know(i get carried away sometimes lol)

hope to here from you soon

moony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:37 PM

Try booting in to safe mode and see if they will leave.

See:
http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.htm

#3 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:20 AM

hi river rat,
i tried in safe mode but there is no delete option on the folders so it wont work in safe mode, i also tried 3 programs from the link you gave me with no luck, the closest i came was 1 of them said system denide access out of the other 2, 1 couldnt even find them the other found them but when i tried to select them it was like clicking on an empty space, i cant even move the folders about so ive come to the conclusion that no program can move or delete them and my system has blocked all access to them so i cant delete them. it seems i have bamboozeled the experts on this one ( go me) lol

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:42 AM

Usually when you run accross a file that will not delete it is because some program is running and using it.

See this article:
Taking out the Trash

Have you tried a complete cleaning to see if that helps?
Show all Files & Folders
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtutorial=62
Try these free tools.
Trendmicro (free virus scan only)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Adware SE (update after installing)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Spybot S&D (update after installing)
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...4-10122137.html

After doing this and the problems are not better feel free to post a HJT log.
Be sure to read the How to submit a HJT Log and submit it to the appropriate forum. HJT Forum links provided below.

How to submit a Hijackthis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html
HJT Forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Hij...alysis-f22.html

#5 rmm55

rmm55

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:51 AM

Go to www.sysinternals.com, download autoruns and processexplorer, run autoruns and uncheck / delete the regerating item. If you do have an exe or dll that is activeley starting use process explorer to find it by its id or lack of one. When found kill it.
Roy Mel - YourTechOnline technician
roy@no_spam_yourtechonline.com (remove no_spam_)

#6 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:07 AM

ok im not sure if people a really understanding my problem here. so lets try and clarify, im using windows xp (so that you know the lay out) when i click start>my computer i have FILES STORED ON THIS COMPUTER with a few of my folders then i have HARD DISK DRIVES with local disk © then i have DEVICES WITH REMOVABLE STORAGE with my dvd-rw drive (d) then i have OTHER and this is where i have 2 icons with no namesd, when i run my mouse over them it tells me on the left in the details window that they are system folders no other details are there it says system folder and nothing else, if i right click on any of the 2 i have the options open, explore (neither will do anything) and create shortcut, these folders do not show up in proceses, it is as if they are just images and nothing else, they dont open or do anything and the are system folders if i try and delete with the few programs that have actually let me click on them then i get pop ups saying that they are protected or something like that. like i have said before i know these items may not be causing any problem what so ever and taken zero space on my computer so you may be wondering why i want to do anything at all (good point) its just anoying knowing i have something there that does nothing and i dont want and knowing that it came from a program that i installed and not just something that came with my pc.
i hope you are all fully aware of exactly what my problem is now, if not then maybe we can get together one on one and do a remote assistance or something

moony

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:49 AM

If these are stored in a "system folder" they are probably system files and my advice would be to leave them alone, especially since they are not causing any problems.

#8 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:52 AM

ok then since the chances are high that i could do alot of damage if i delete them, is there at least away to move them from where they are so i dont have to look at them everytime i go to my computer (ive tried moving them and i cant)
thanks everyone for helping me sp far :thumbsup::trumpet::flowers:

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:37 PM

ok then since the chances are high that i could do alot of damage if i delete them, is there at least away to move them from where they are so i dont have to look at them everytime i go to my computer (ive tried moving them and i cant)
thanks everyone for helping me sp far :thumbsup::trumpet::flowers:

If they are system folders you don't want to move them, delete them, or in any way mess with them. You could seriously damage your op system.

If you want to see what's in them (not recommended for newbies) open windows explorer, click on tools, then on folder options, then on view, scroll down and check "show hidden files and folders", and uncheck "hide protected operating system files".

Remember - you can trash your operating system by screwing with this stuff. Don't alter, move or delete anything in those folders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users