Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I should keep my day job, in too deep and help please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FedFirefighter

FedFirefighter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

I would like some help with something that I did to my computer tonight. I tried something I saw on youtube and my computer did not like it.

First of all, the only way I know how to get rid of viruses is to run scanners. The virus is on a friend's computer and I was researching on youtube how to manually find and get rid of viruses. I did the following on my computer which does not have the virus:

In a command window, I was at the root of C: and typed in "attrib -s -h *.* /s /d"

After 10 secs or so, I panicked at closed the window. My computer still works but some of the folders on my computer dont have files in them anymore. I tried to copy a file over to one of those "empty" folders and Windows told me I was trying to copy a similar file over. I am thinking that these files are hidden somehow but I didn't want to do anything without seeking help.

Can anyone please help me? I would appreciate it a great deal!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwoDigitz

TwoDigitz

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:34 AM

You could try a system restore: go to "Start" "All Programs" "Accessories" "System Tools" "System Restore" and follow the wizard for restoring your computer to an earlier time when it was running fine, this just comprises of picking a date when you know your files are present to restore to. Also check in the recycle bin to see if youve accidentally deleted the files and simply restore them. Hope this helps mate.

#3 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:05 PM

if you want to retreive lost files and folders try this link http://www.piriform.com/ and download recuva, it recovers lost files and folders and also tells you which ones are good and which are bad, pretty cool actually !
Good Luck !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:49 AM

hi,,,, i like recuva, a very good program and always handy to have, as you never know,,,
if you think you have deleted hidden system files then run the system file checker,,, have your recovery disc in the drive when doing this
sfc /scannow is the command and here's how to do it
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2231/vista_...m_file_checker/
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users