Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ntoskrnl.exe attempting to access Internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pogamahone1

pogamahone1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

Dell XPS 400 with XP Pro SP3. I recently downloaded and installed the latest WIN XP patches. Running Symantec Endpoint Protection. Rebooted the computer and the SEP Network Threat Protection warning window just popped up notifying me that the NT Kernal System has been modified since the last time I ran it and it is attempting to access the Internet. The new version is 5.1.2600.5857 and it is attempting to access port 138. Why would ntoskrnl.exe be trying to access the Internet? Should I allow it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:13 PM

According to this: http://www.techimo.com/forum/applications-...oskrnl-exe.html

This process is safe to both allow and block from what I can comprehend. It may disable you internet access if it's blocked. Try blocking it first to be on the safe side, but if you can browse the web, unblock it.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

Worth reviewing, IMO: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/net...ntoskrnlexe-new

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users