Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling windows xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uberpwner

uberpwner

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

Hey, I've just got a quick question. Is it possible to reinstall windows xp but ONLY wipe my c drive? Or do I have to wipe all of my C drives? I'm pretty sure I have a virus somewhere in my computer but I think it's only in my C drive and I don't want to back up everything I have, (over 1TB of stuff) is there an option to only reformat the hardrive that windows is installed into?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

Opinion drives are very cheap buy a new one load it along with your security suite of choice plus Superantispyware and Malwarebytes then hook up the other drive an start scanning to see if any bad stuff is left. It may still be a bit risky but you don't have much choice wishing to save your files!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 uberpwner

uberpwner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

I don't really have the money to buy new hardrives right now -.- does your response mean that it is possible to only wipe the one hardrive i installed windows on? Malwarebytes actually came up with nothing, I'm running Super right now to see if it can find anything...but I may have to reinstall windows anyways.

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:47 PM

It is possible to wipe only the drive Windows is on. Just make sure you select the correct drive/partition you want to reformat.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#5 uberpwner

uberpwner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:17 PM

Ok, thank you for the very quick and helpful reply!!! :-D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users