Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network cabled unplugged, Tried everything that came to mind.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Liger_XT5

Liger_XT5

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

To help everyone know this is not a hardware issue, I have Kubuntu, recent version out right now, installed on the computer along with Windows XP. Kubuntu connects with no issue.
On XP, I can not connect to the network. I have uninstalled the drivers, with the motherboard CD. (EVGA X58 sli). restarted, and the computer detect a new device. I used the disc to reinstall the drivers, no luck even after restart.

I flipped back and forth from XP and Kubuntu thinking it was a fluck for Kubuntu, but only Kubuntu connects.
I am using my laptop right now for internet while I attempt to find a fix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,233 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:19 PM

You can try the following, Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

Louis

#3 Trillogy

Trillogy

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:32 PM

What service pack of XP are you using? Also, have you checked your TCP/IP setting and such?

#4 Liger_XT5

Liger_XT5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:43 PM

I've done what the link said and nothing new shows up.
I have noticed something.
When I'm on Kubuntu, the light on my router shows orange, and other devices show green. Flipping cables and connection ports, my computer still shows orange on kubuntu, and a steady green blink on XP.
I am now assuming it is the onboard netcard has gone bad. any suggestions before I go out and buy a new card?

SP3, I installed all updates and drives when I put the computer together about a month ago.
Only thing I know isn't default is the DNS set to the OpenDns I had before I had issues. Everything is default right now.

edit:
Set the card to 10mps on XP and now working and shows orange on the router.
So now I know there is a hardware issue. anyone willing to explain? I'm quite interested what component fried.

Edited by Liger_XT5, 19 October 2009 - 05:57 PM.

#5 Trillogy

Trillogy

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hi Liger,

I don't think it's a hardware problem. I think it's an XP SP3 problem. I had an issue with an error message saying a network cable is unplugged after installing SP3 on my XP machine. The only answer microsoft gave was to set the speed to 10mbs/100. That was it.

#6 Liger_XT5

Liger_XT5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the tip! I recently noticed my computer show's green on the router when I'm in kubuntu.
All I can say now is, Microsoft done it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users