Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using IDE's on New Dells

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RAPHelp

RAPHelp

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

Am considering a new Dell computer .... currently have a Dell Dimension 4300 (circa 2001) and planned to use my current IDE HDD (only 1 year old - replaced original) BUT just found out that Dell SATA machines no longer support IDE. BUMMER

Is it reasonable (from a performance aspect) to use a 'SATA to IDE converter'?
... the 2nd drive would not be used for programs - only storage.

Although I have built computers from 'scratch' (when I was younger and had access to extra space - i.e. a lab), I've reached the age when I'd rather have a customized one built for me.

Use the computer for Web design/website maintenance, FTP (upload and down). email, Internet, miscellaneous document/image activity, only a little gaming, very little music uploads/downs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:05 PM

It's reasonable to use a controller card or whatever...if you want to use PATA/IDE devices on a motherboard which considers PATA a thing of the past.

I use my controller cards in such a manner.

Louis

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:47 AM

BUT just found out that Dell SATA machines no longer support IDE. BUMMER

are you sure the motherboard does not have a IDE port ?

amost all boards have them for old dvd drives and old hard drives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users