Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I buy and install Windows 7 as a "fresh" install?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mrh2opro

mrh2opro

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

I am thinking about zeroing and reformatting my desktop and then reloading. My XP OS has about 4-5 upgrade CD's. I have an early version of Vista before it was commercially available, but installed then immediatly uninstalled that piece of &*^%.

Can I buy Windows - 7 and simply load it as a brand new installation? Or, as I've been warned, do I have to bring all the XP versions back up to date?

Can anybody make anything that isn't a pain in the ass?

Thanks.

Frustrated in Detroit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:21 AM

From what I can see, you can not upgrade from XP but you can from Vista. So if you have XP you will need to do a complete install, probably haveing to format, but I'm not positive of that. I don't have Vista, but I did pre-order Win 7 from Newegg. I figured it's only $99, (sale ends today the 20th) so what the heck.. I'll give it a try.. :huh:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 mrh2opro

mrh2opro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

Thank you. I think I'll do the same.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

I had xp and wiped the hard drive and installed 7 clean and its working fine.

#5 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:55 AM

IF you buy an "Upgrade" version of 7, then you'll need to have Vista installed. (and not a beta version)
IF you buy the "Retail" or "OEM" versions, then you WILL NOT need to have any other OS installed before hand.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:10 AM

IF you buy an "Upgrade" version of 7, then you'll need to have Vista installed. (and not a beta version)
IF you buy the "Retail" or "OEM" versions, then you WILL NOT need to have any other OS installed before hand.

I preordered the upgrade for $49 and don't have Vista. You mean I won't be able to do a clean install with anything other than a Vista cd?

#7 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

an article at Tom's Hardware says that while you can do the upgrade, but it'll be a clean install ... I don't know how that works, because I only have a "NOT FOR RESALE" version ... (I have the Ultimate Signature Edition) ... so I just did a fresh install.

here's the article

Edited by _Allan_, 21 October 2009 - 09:38 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

can't you just upgrade xp to a trial of vista for free off microsofts website and then upgrade to 7 and activate it then and be fine?

#9 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:05 AM

an article at Tom's Hardware says that while you can do the upgrade, but it'll be a clean install

Guess the following answers my question:

“I can confirm that customers will be able to purchase upgrade media and an upgrade license to move from Windows XP to Windows 7 - however, they will need to do a clean installation of Windows 7,” a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed to The Register. “This requires the user to back up their data, install Windows 7, re-install the programs and restore their data.”

Windows Vista users, however, will have the option to install over top their existing OS.

“For PCs running Windows Vista customers have the option of an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 keeping their data and programs intact or to perform a clean install of Windows 7,” added the rep.

Kewl! I usually do clean installs anyway.

#10 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'm glad you found the answer for us Hawkeye4. The only problem I'm worrying about is the programs that came with my Gateway computer. For example Microsoft Works Suite 2005. If I install it from the CD, will it work with Windows 7.
Has anyone tried that yet?

#11 bealer46

bealer46

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

i just heard that if you have a version of windows 2000 or newer we can upgrade to win 7.so says a microsoft spokesman.they did not release that fact to the press.

#12 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:59 AM

I'm glad you found the answer for us Hawkeye4. The only problem I'm worrying about is the programs that came with my Gateway computer. For example Microsoft Works Suite 2005. If I install it from the CD, will it work with Windows 7.
Has anyone tried that yet?

I would imagine anything from Microsoft would work. Otherwise they'd be cutting their own throats.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:58 PM

Lots of ideas floating around here, some are correct, some incorrect.

Windows 7 is available as an upgrade to XP users. That is, those of us who have XP currently...can buy an upgrade version of Win 7 and do a clean install.

http://windows7news.com/2009/10/22/how-to-...-upgrade-media/

We cannot install Windows 7 over the current XP operating system...some loss, considering that such is a bad idea, IMO :huh:. The term "clean install" is synonymous with "WYSIWYG" when it comes to system problems being carried over.

And, for those who don't know...the family pack of Windows 7 is a good deal. For a total of $168 this morning, I acquired 3 licenses to install Win 7 on 3 separate systems. The single system version the upgrade edition (Home Premium) is starting at $119 plus tax plus shipping.

Louis

#14 d0ubty

d0ubty

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

Here is a way that I've heard of people doing this by buying only the cheap college upgrade version of the software. This WILL WORK for a clean install over XP.

First, of course, you have to purchase and download the Windows 7 Upgrade file. After running the downloaded executable file, you'll have a new folder on your desktop (I forget the exact name, but it'll be the only new one on there).

Second, create bootable ISO image DVD using ImgBurn. This process is pretty simple--instructions can be found HERE.

Boot up using that disc. If necessary, change your BIOS settings (F2 during start up loading bar...make sure CD/DVD ROM drive is #1 on the list)

Proceed through the clean installation using this disk in any way you desire. When you get to the activation code, DO NOT enter anything. Your activation code DOES NOT WORK as a clean install.

You'll have an unactivated version of Windows 7 running at this point. Now all you have to do is re-download your Upgrade file in your version of Windows 7. Once it's downloaded, execute the .exe file and go through all of the steps to upgrade (the install manager for Windows 7 will make this self-explanatory). Here you can enter your activation code, and it will work. You now have a working, activated version of Windows 7!

This works because your upgrade version will treat your unactivated version as something that it can upgrade.

Again, this is just what I've heard...proceed with care.

#15 hayride2

hayride2

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:14 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! I have been trying to install the upgrade on a new harddrive and when it got to the key it kept telling me it was invalid but I couldn't get rid of it so I could install XP or Vista. It kept trying to enter the key over and over again. It is up and running great now! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users