Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to change my ISP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kenai

Kenai

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

Currently I have SBC DSL and pay around $25 a month for internet. My DL and UL speed is pretty abismal in my opinion at 1.5 and .30 respectively. Is there any services that offer more speed for around the same cost? Reason I ask instead of searching for ones is instead of going to a site that will tell me what they say their service is. You of all people know the quality of their services both with internet connectivity and customer service.

Also I am wondering if its possible to ask them to make a wire available to me in the other side of the house so I don't have to use my PS3's wireless capabilities to connect to the internet?

If this is in the wrong area I am sorry, I don't mind if its closed or I have to make a new topic in a new area.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:19 PM

Your u\l is faster then your d\l? Odd.

Having said that. If you reverse your stated speeds then that sounds about right for the basic package which I am guessing is what you have. Also remember when checking ISP`s advertised speeds the term "speeds up to" are used a lot.

#3 Kenai

Kenai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

No no, my DL is 1.5 mbps and my UL is .30 mbps

Thanks for noting that though, I might have missed it.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

oops. :thumbsup: I did miss the decimal placement. That is pretty poor. Have you spoke to them about it?

I run RR cable with a 3.+ down and a 1.5 +\- up as an average.

Is this a single computer set-up?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

If I had to guess you have the DSL Express package. The speeds for DSL Express is - Downstream Speed: Up to 1.5 Mbps and Upstream Speed: Up to 384 Kbps - that is according to their site.

I am guessing that because of the $25 a month. I pay right at $50 a month for my cable with speeds up to 12 Mbs. I burst to that speed from time to time. My normal is just over 6Mbs.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 19 October 2009 - 11:15 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Kenai

Kenai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:12 AM

I am quite mad at this but after some reason apparently Cox, Verizon, and other ISP services don't work in my area. Only thing I can think of is Satellite but I don't want to use it :thumbsup:

Also this is for my main computer that will eventually end up in my room. Right now this internet is in use by my moms work laptop, my sister's fiance's Xbox and laptop, my PS3, PSP, and DS.

Edited by Kenai, 20 October 2009 - 01:14 AM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:28 AM

I was on satellite for several years. My suggestion, stay away from it.

It is terrible for gaming due to latency, and very erratic speeds both up and down. Heavy rain or snow can cause signal lose. They also have a policy that limits the amount of downloaded MBs in a given time period. If you exceed it then your speeds are reduced to that of dial-up for a period of time. And all that for a cost about 3x more then what you are paying now.

#8 Kenai

Kenai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:51 PM

My neighbor a couple of houses away has Road Runner through Time Warner and at around 6 times my current speed only pays around double what we are currently paying. I've heard nothing but bad things about Time Warner but could this actually be a viable choice? Pressed to remember, she thinks she only had one downtime in the last 10 years and it was back up within an hour. I can't really find anything else to replace this cruddy DSL with other than time warner too so it might be my only choice if I wanted to switch to cable.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

Have you contacted your DSL provider and asked how much it would be to go faster? You have the basic DSL package, you are getting the exact speed you are paying for.

And yeah if you have cable TV 9 outta 10 you can get high speed internet through the same company. And i say 9 outta 10 just for that one cable company that doesn't offer high speed lol.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 Kenai

Kenai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:21 AM

I want a high speed connection for my ps3 and soon to be xbox 360 and don't want to depend on wireless for both of them. Also the number the DSL is on is going to be cut in the next 3 or so months.

Edited by Kenai, 25 October 2009 - 03:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users