Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

_helper.sig [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carob

Carob

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

Hello.

When booting this computer I am getting a C:\Program Files\Common folder that opens and it contains a file called "_helper.sig". From what I can tell this might be a leftover piece of malware but I can't seem to get it to stop coming up. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. The latest version of Malwarebytes has already been run.

Edited by Carob, 19 October 2009 - 01:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Carob

Carob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

The last time I had to post something here I was told not to post logs until asked to do so. So I didn't. If that's what you want let me know what you want and how to get them.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

That is a common issue (no pun intended lol). Check the c:\program files folder and see if there is a folder called common (not "common files", just "common"). If there is, check to see if there are any other files/folders inside it. If there are, the most likely cause is a bad install of some application. The application will need to be removed and reinstalled correctly. If you made it yourself, rename it or delete it.

In any case, the folder has to go, either through renaming it or deleting it. Then reboot. Your issue should be gone.

OT

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Carob

Carob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:36 AM

Yes, the folder is there and this _helper.sig file is the only thing in it.

Yes, I'm sure I can probably remove the folder but there must be an underlying issue somewhere that's telling Windows to open this folder in the first place. If I remove the folder, sure, it probably won't show itself on bootup but whatever is inside Windows telling it to open this particular directory will still be around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users