Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk Bad Clusters File

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NKA

NKA

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:54 PM

Hey all, I have read many posts concerning this issue including these three:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/120127/chkdsk-reports-insufficient-space-and-unspecified-error-occurred/
http://www.motherboardpoint.com/bad-cluste...ir-t166151.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...5B/t251669.html

Most people suggest backing up the data and running the the manufactures diagnostic tool. The problem is, I can't access the data on the drive from within Win XP. What other means can I use to backup the data? I read that Linux Live CD could be used to accomplish this task, but I don't know if that will work if I can't access the files.

I care more about the data than I do about the drive. Any ideas how to backup the data before I scan the drive for errors with the manufactures diags? Thanks!

-nka

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

if you got your hands on a copy of norton ghost you could use that to make a full image of the drive, but that would require a second drive to copy the image onto. I had the same problem last week with a hdd for one of the people I work with. I ended up RMAing the drive and put a new one in then reinstalled windows and copied the contents of the drive that were needed back onto the new drive. Norton ghost also comes with an application you can use to look at the image with while booted into windows.

Otherwise I would try using a linux Live CD to boot up and try taking a look into your hard drive with it. If it doesn't work no problem your only out one CD, well unless its a CD-RW. Norton Ghost is an awesome application though. It's a great way to make full drive back ups. Problem is it takes up a huge amount of room. I would recommend getting a second hard drive that's equal size if not bigger and make monthly or weekly back up. depending on how sensitive the data is. then take the second drive out and store it in a different place, for example a drawer at work.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

You can try...key concept...data recovery using linux or data recovery software of some sort.

Some data recovery software installs within Windows, some will run from a CD. You would have to look for whatever it is that you prefer.

When drives are troubled...there is no guarantee of recovery, other than by those who charge large sums to do such.

Louis

#4 NKA

NKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

I ended up RMAing the drive and put a new one in then reinstalled windows and copied the contents of the drive that were needed back onto the new drive. Norton ghost also comes with an application you can use to look at the image with while booted into windows.

Otherwise I would try using a linux Live CD to boot up and try taking a look into your hard drive with it.

I will have a look into Norton Ghost. In terms of the Linux Live CD, what would you recommend? And what is it about Linux that might let me view the contents of a drive that Win XP will not?

You can try...key concept...data recovery using linux or data recovery software of some sort.

Some data recovery software installs within Windows, some will run from a CD. You would have to look for whatever it is that you prefer.

When drives are troubled...there is no guarantee of recovery, other than by those who charge large sums to do such.

Louis

Any Linux app you recommend? I'm a total noob in data recovery.

#5 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

I use Ubuntu right now and I think it's fairly simple to use. You should be able to just open the drive in linux and copy what you need to. The problem is you'll most likely need a second drive once again or at least another media type to copy over the data.

#6 NKA

NKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:48 PM

I use Ubuntu right now and I think it's fairly simple to use. You should be able to just open the drive in linux and copy what you need to. The problem is you'll most likely need a second drive once again or at least another media type to copy over the data.

Cool, I'm using a modified version of Ubuntu (Crunchbang Linux) on another machine. Another drive shouldn't be a problem. I have two followup questions. 1) Should I be concerned that the data on my "bad cluster" hd might somehow damage the new drive that I'm copying to? 2) Why should a disk that is unreadable in Windows, be readable enough for me to copy files off of it, just because I'm using Linux? The second question is more a question of curiosity than function. Thanks for the help.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

Sorry...I won't get to linux distros in this lifetime...it's all I can do to keep up with Windows :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:19 PM

Honestly, I don't know if the drive will be more readable on linux than on Windows. The thing with computers is there's so much about them that not many people know that it's kind of theory in a way. At least that's how it seems to me. I say try using linux to extract the data you need, Linux reads NTFS drives differently than windows so maybe it will ignore some of the bad sectors or something, it's just a guess, maybe someone else can tell you more on it, I'm not 100% on it. i just figure it's worth trying.

Bad sectors are a physical matter. It's not "contagious". software is lost because something is physically wrong with the drive, or the operating system wrote something wrong. If a drive doesn't fix the problem I would try getting another motherboard, something could be wrong with the SATA or ATA/PATA controller. Then again something could also be wrong with the CPU. I would start with the drive first, if worse come to worse and the drive doesn't fix the problem and you get bad sectors again, then return it and get a new motherboard. This is either a hardware problem or an operating system problem if the Operating system caused it, a new drive I'm sure would help, but definitley get reinstall windows on the new drive as well. My best bet is it's the hard drive that's the problem. Sorry I'm rambling I didn't get enough sleep last night so I ramble a lot when I'm tired.

#9 NKA

NKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

Honestly, I don't know if the drive will be more readable on linux than on Windows. The thing with computers is there's so much about them that not many people know that it's kind of theory in a way. At least that's how it seems to me. I say try using linux to extract the data you need, Linux reads NTFS drives differently than windows so maybe it will ignore some of the bad sectors or something, it's just a guess, maybe someone else can tell you more on it, I'm not 100% on it. i just figure it's worth trying.

Bad sectors are a physical matter. It's not "contagious". software is lost because something is physically wrong with the drive, or the operating system wrote something wrong. If a drive doesn't fix the problem I would try getting another motherboard, something could be wrong with the SATA or ATA/PATA controller. Then again something could also be wrong with the CPU. I would start with the drive first, if worse come to worse and the drive doesn't fix the problem and you get bad sectors again, then return it and get a new motherboard. This is either a hardware problem or an operating system problem if the Operating system caused it, a new drive I'm sure would help, but definitley get reinstall windows on the new drive as well. My best bet is it's the hard drive that's the problem. Sorry I'm rambling I didn't get enough sleep last night so I ramble a lot when I'm tired.

Thanks for the concise and cogent explanation. My bad sector drive is an external hd. I have several externals and have no issues with the main windows drive. Hopefully Linux will allow me to backup those files and then I can scrub the drive or trash it. Thanks for taking the time to break things down. Much obliged sir!

#10 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

I actually realized something it could also be a the cable. Since its an external though, it could be a faulty USB port, the cable or the inclosure itself. I still think it's the hard drive though.

#11 NKA

NKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:44 PM

I actually realized something it could also be a the cable. Since its an external though, it could be a faulty USB port, the cable or the inclosure itself. I still think it's the hard drive though.

I should clarify. The drive is a regular internal IDE, but I use an external enclosure. I thought the enclosure might have been the issue, so I tried directly connecting to the motherboard, and I tried an IDE adapter. Nothing worked. I'm hoping that Linux will save the day!

#12 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:51 PM

I hope it does too. If that doesn't work I would try making an image of your drive and looking in the image.

#13 NKA

NKA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

I hope it does too. If that doesn't work I would try making an image of your drive and looking in the image.

Does Norton Ghost allow you to extract files from the image? I have never used that type of software before.

#14 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

Yes it actually comes with a tool that you install in windows that allows you to read and extract from images you make.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

This is an excellent article:

DjLizard's data recovery guide
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Data_Recovery

View the comment about Ghost!

Download and use RIPLinux. Proceed to ddrescue .....
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users