Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you change the DEFAULT Save As type in MS Paint to JPG

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

Greetings,

I am using XP and I use MS Paint for screen shot pastes. I then have to promptly save those files. Now, I know its not much but ev ery time I save, the default save as type is BMP (which I feel is just awful for what I am doing) and would like to change the default to JPG (which I need, want, and love)

Any registry changes that can deal with that?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:17 PM

When you press print screen for a screenshot
and open Paint, paste and go to save, don't you have a drop down box
that gives you a variety of choices, including JPG? I do.

Or am I not understanding the problem.

I generally use Irfanview for this purpose.

#3 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

I do not want to have to change it every time using the drop box. Right now, it always defaults to BMP. That means I have to change it every time. I am trying to avoid having to change it every time.

I need to save screen shots and I will be using MS paint as I am directed by my superiors. I am not allowed to use a different program... so far, nor do I want to.

Edited by Shandley, 19 October 2009 - 12:32 PM.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

This possible solution is posted on the Internet.
No information available on registry keys, sorry.

"Here is a work around.

Try this to see if it works for you.

1. Open a blank screen in Paint and save it as a .jpg in the location you want as your default with the name "default.jpg".
2. Right click and drag the Paint program from the Start, Programs,
Accessories location onto the desktop and select copy here.
3. Right click on the Paint icon and then left click Properties. You should see a line like this "%SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe" (without the quotes.)
4. Place the cursor after the .exe and type a space.
5. Type the full path and filename for the default.jpg file you saved (if there is any spaces in the path you need to enclose anything you type in quotes. The final line should look like this

%SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe "C:\this is the path here\default.jpg"

6.click OK.

Double click on the new desktop icon, the file will open and the Save As default location will be where the file is located. If you make the default.jpg READ ONLY, you won't inadvertently change the file and a Save As will then pop up for any attempt to Save. "

#5 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

I tired that and it does help. Thanks.

Something in the registry must be telling this program to default to bmp. If anyone knows, please let me know... or even where the keys for these options are located.

#6 BlueGazoo

BlueGazoo

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

That Paint defaulted to Bitmap used to make me mad. (I think this was because of licensing agreements.)

I went to try the above fix, but in Vista its defaulted to JPG - sweet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users