Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PeggyLee

PeggyLee

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

This question is for my son, he has an old Compaq computer with Windows XP home and wants to move a bunch of music files over to a better computer with Windows XP Pro. He bought a 4G flash drive, copied one album to it, put it in the newer computer, pasted it, but it automatically pasted the album into another album's folder. He wants to know should he create a new folder prior to pasting or create a folder on the old computer before copying, or just what is the best sequence of actions should he take? He doesn't have much knowledge about these things and I have never used a flash drive before. He needs it spelled out for him, one step at a time. He does not live at home so I was not able to see what he was doing. He also does not have access to the internet right now. Someone he works with tried to tell him on the phone how to do it but they went through it so fast I think they missed something. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Peggy

Edited by PeggyLee, 19 October 2009 - 08:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

If functioning properly...a flash drive varies from a hard drive or other storage media...only in capacity.

Moving/copying folders/files are done in the same manner that they normally would be done...with files/folders going to the selected location, provided there is sufficient room in the chosen storage location.

If he wants to move files from one system to another, one of the easiest methods is simply to remove the hard drive from System A (where the files are located) and attach it to System B (new location) and then just move them. No flash drive, CDs, etc. required.

Or (temporarily) set up a network between the two systems.

Louis

#3 PeggyLee

PeggyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

Thank You for the reply. I think he wants to use the flash drive since he paid money for it and does not want his wife to think it was a waste! I don't think he saw an option to create a new folder on the destination computer. It just automatically dumped the new files in an existing album folder he already had. He basically wants to know how to get each folder into new and separate folders.

Peggy

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

Not sure where the problem lies, really.

Plug flash drive (Removable disk) into Compaq.

On Compaq go to Windows Explorer, find music files or folder in directory list, select 'copy'

Move down list to where it says 'Removable disk (G:)' (or whatever letter is assigned), select paste.

That would put the files or folder on the root of the flash drive.

OR click on Removable disk, go to file menu, select New / Folder
and create one e.g. TRANSFERRINGALBUM1, then copy the files or folder you want from Compaq and paste
to TRANSFERRINGALBUM1 on Removable disk.

Then stick the flash drive in the new computer
Go to Windows Explorer, select Removable disk - you should see all files/folders on flash drive.

You can either copy and paste TRANSFERRINGALBUM1 from Removable disk to Local disk (C:) on NEW computer
or first create a new folder, or any number on the new computer by the same method
i.e select file, New / Folder. You can move them where you want.

You can always drag and drop between drives, but mistakes are easily made that way
so I would think that the solid copy and paste is better.

If he runs out of space on the flash drive, he can delete the folders after transferring to the
new computer and start again - he may have an enormous number of music files for all we know
and in any event flash drives of this type are not really designed for storage.

I think that covers it; if I've missed out any steps, I'm sure the purists will
post to say so or to criticise the method, but it should do the trick.

#5 PeggyLee

PeggyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

Thank You! I will give him this info tonight when I get home. I think I can talk him through this with such good info. I appreciate it. The person he talked to earlier just assumed he knew more than he really did. This really clears it up.

Peggy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users