Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsing with Firefox causes full system freeze

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Octanion

Octanion

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:21 AM

Recently, web browsing with Mozilla Firefox would cause seemingly random full system freezes. These freezes occur only on specific sites, but not consistently on every occasion of visiting said sites.

For instance wikipedia is one such troublesome site that gives me freezes. I visit one of the pages (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis) and halfway through the loading of the page contents, my system totally freezes up; the cursor does not respond, ctrl alt del doesnt work, and the hard disk LED does not flash. After a hard reboot, I reopen Firefox again, restoring my previous session, and reloading that specific page. This time round, everything works out fine and I'm able to browse that page without any problems. From that page however, I click on a link to another wikipedia article (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket), and again my system freezes up halfway through loading, and the only solution is a hard reboot again.

This does not seem to be an issue when I use Internet Explorer.
My Firefox version is 3.5.3 and I am running on Windows XP Home edition.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Octanion, 19 October 2009 - 05:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users