Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird DVD drive issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

Ok all, this is stumping me, and its probably something stupid that I will kick myself in the rear for later, but Im having this strange problem. I just purchased a Samsung CD/DVD writer with lightscribe awhile back, and it works great for the most part. plays movies like a charm, installs all programs I throw in it, whether on CD or DVD, and burns both CDs and DVDs fine. the problem is it wont play music CDs. No matter what. It gets about 30-40 seconds into the first song, then skips to the end of the song and then skips every track until the CD is done. with windows media player that is all it did, with PowerDVD and Real One player it gave me error codes saying the CD was corrupt and unreadable. I tried several CDs, some scratched some completly flawless, all of which play on every other CD player I own without so much as a skip. the fact it reads and opens data CDs, installation CDs, scratched or not, with no issue, it only does this with music CDs with every type of software ive used. Im using windows vista ultimate 64 bit, and everything is up to date. Ive never seen anything like this before, it almost seems software related as it seems to read and write everything else with ease, yet all my software is up to date and my old CD drive played CDs no problem. games, applications, everything but music. anyone else have a clue whats up here? CD drive? software?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cday

cday

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:03 AM

Does this happen for audio cd's or mp3 cd's
LEARN TO SHARE AND SHARE TO LEARN

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:47 PM

have not tried an burned CD, all the music CDs I have tried are the original artist audio CDs.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:00 PM

That is a perplexing problem

I would have to chalk it up to a defective drive
Maybe flash the ROM chip
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

I suppose thats possible this is actually the second one of this type first one failed right after installation and I RMAd it, but its just off, if it was a bad drive, why would it read every other type of format but music?

picard5.jpg

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

Does the drive have a model number?
It's a shame Dachew hasn't been around lately

You might try asking these guys
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

you think it might be a virus? the thought entered my mind, but I run komodo and it hasnt found anything. Ill run a couple of these just in case komodo missed something though normally its pretty good. thanks for the advice. :D and the drive is a samsung SH-S223

Edited by the_patriot09, 20 October 2009 - 07:04 PM.

picard5.jpg

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

after doing some research I found microsofts solution. they blame it on third party software messing with the registry and give me this fix http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;834483 however, the MCI key is non existent in my registry. I have direct sound and speaker config subfolders under media resources, originally, and when I tried installing a codec pack (which also didnt work) it installed an ICM folder. (which wasnt there before but didnt solve the problem) so Im thinking that microsoft might be partly right it might be something to do with the registry but I dont mess with the registry enough to know how to fix it. arg. hate to have to reformat the drive just to get the registry back to the way it was. . .

oh, and I ran multiple virus scans all came up clean.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users