Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:40 PM

Alright, I've recently upgraded my HDD because my old one was dying and running out of space. I copied the whole drive over using EASEUS Partition Master. Afterwards, I rebooted (on the old drive) and expanded the Windows partition (on the new drive). I did not bother to test the installation after this. I had GRUB installed to the boot loader, and I did not (and still do not) believe EASEUS copies the master boot record, so after resizing the partitions, I swapped the drives and installed Windows 7 RC.

After that, I went to test XP to check for problems. As you can probably tell from the title, I found one: no user accounts show up. Only the Windows logo is shown. It's shown where it would say "Windows is starting up...," not offset to the left to let the user accounts show up.

Here's what I've done. In order:

- Attempt to boot into safe mode - Failed, I don't remember what happened, to be honest.

- Copy WINDOWS and some of the Documents and Settings folder - No effect

- Copy entire drive by dragging and dropping (twice, under Ubuntu, performing a full format on second try) - No effect

- Repair install - Allowed me to log in, but the CD was a bad slipstreaming attempt, so numerous things were corrupt.

- Run chkdsk /f /r on old drive then copy WINDOWS folder by dragging and dropping (under Windows 7), merging the two folders in case it was one corrupt file - Back to square one (files are fine, still can't log in)

- Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to type in my credentials manually - Failed, never appeared

However, when I boot with the old drive plugged in (through an external enclosure), I can log in. I think all this may be caused by the fact that I've upgraded the RAM and the HDD since I've acquired the laptop, which may have been too much of a hardware change for my activation code.

Any suggestions, theories, or other input?

Edited by MadDawg, 18 October 2009 - 09:41 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

Too uncommon huh? Oh well... Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

FWIW: You've made what (IMO) are various/countless changes to your system...and I suspect that no one visiting/attending the forum can determine what you've done and what you've not done.

IMO, the simplest approach would just be to start over, doing things in a logical manner...making it easy to troubleshoot issues as they arise.

FWIW: Easeus Partition Master does indeed clone the partition exactly as it is...if that is what you directed it to do. Once a partition has been cloned...it's best to remove/disconnect the old drive (and all other drives, temporarily)...and insert the cloned partition in lieu of the previous boot drive/partition. After being assured that this, the most important partition, is bootable and contains a true copy...that's the time to go playing with other things...IMO.

Louis

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll reinstall XP later when I feel like messing with GRUB and the Windows 7 boot loader.

One question though: is there a limit to how many times I can use my product key? I've reinstalled Windows three times, and I've heard you can only use the key three times. It probably wouldn't matter, but it'd be good to know.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

There are rumors about this...but I've personally found these rumors groundless.

I've installed XP multiple times on various systems which I have had since 2001...the only time there has ever been a question of any sort occured on those occasions where I had changed the hardware configuration (replacement motherboard, replacement hard drive, different CPU, etc.). One or two of these situations resulted in telephonic activation, but that was quick, courteous and easy enough for me.

I assume that you know that product key applies to installation of XP on one system only, not one license for multiple installs on differing systems.

Louis

#6 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:03 PM

Cool, thanks again.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louiis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users