Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager/Registy Editing has been disabled by your administrator

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Axen Zoku

Axen Zoku

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

I used an official windows xp pro cd, and I get this error - "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator" & "Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator". Comodo anti-virus doesn't detect anything...

My main clue is it's happening right after a fresh format/reinstall... I think my thumb drive might have something to do with it, but I have to reinstall without using my thumb drive to narrow it down... But it would be nice to know how to fix this problem incase I have to do it when I'm repairing a computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axen Zoku

Axen Zoku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:46 AM

ok I just reinstalled and kept my flash drive unplugged... Was going good waiting for my anti-virus/firewall to download, then I test the task manager again and... it's disabled again! I have no idea how it keeps happening. I'm thinking maybe the MBR is infected but I forgot how to get to the repair console to do a "fixmbr"

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

Welcome to BC

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

----------------------------------

Please note: If Rootrepeal fails to run, try this step: Click Settings - Options. Set the Disk Access slider to High

Also try: right-click on rootrepeal.exe and rename it to tatertot.scr
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Axen Zoku

Axen Zoku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:40 AM

Ok, the virus had infected all my backed-up files... as well as the cd I had to make with nLite to slipstream my ethernet and sata/raid drivers... I had to install Ubuntu Linux, and erase my drive's boot sector with this command from the terminal:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
So that overwrites the boot sector with zeroes, removing the master boot record, boot sector, and partition tables... Making the disc almost factory fresh (so you can make new partitions and install windows on it)

Did that on both of my internal hard-drives as well as my flash/thumb drive...

Had to make sort of like a clean room/quarantine to prepare my slipstreamed windows xp cd...
Downloaded and Installed Sun Microsystems VirtualBox within Ubuntu, installed xp on the virtual machine, installed nLite (and .net 2.0 framework), made my slipstreamed windows installation disc.

Booted from the disc first (before erasing the linux partitions) to see if the sata drive would be detected... Worked good.
Booted up from the Ubuntu Live CD again, did a dd on all the drives yet again, then opened the partition editor (on the live cd) to make new partitions for the drives and my flash drive.

Booted from the new slipstreamed install disc, installed on my sata drive (so it's faster), and here I am... Virus Free after 2 days lol! :thumbsup:

And I can't keep any of my old files, sadly... They were all infected. So, I guess I have a fresh start now.

Thanks for listening to my rant, sorry about that

At least there's some documentation for future possible solutions :D

Edited by Axen Zoku, 21 October 2009 - 01:42 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

Sorry it ended up this way
Good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users