Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows cant find my hardrive on start up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 triforcecwp

triforcecwp

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Hello, recently windows updated its self and now it wont find my "Maxtor 6L300R0" hard drive.
it wont show up anywhere not in : my computer, Disc management, or device manager
BUT if i go to device manager and go to "disk drives" right click and go to "scan for hardware changes" it finds it, i have to do this every boot up and its really anoying.

im using windows SP3 latest updates. (the problem occured 2 days ago after an update where windows MADE me restart)
When i try to do a system restore to a point before the update it wont let me. :thumbsup:*sigh*

ps i cant find any drivers for it, that i dont have to pay for. since maxtor is now Seagate. with no support.

compuer specs:
AMD athlon 64 x2 5000+ (2.61 Ghz)
2.0 GB ram
PCI-E eGeforce 8600 gt
MSI k9n6pgm2
PCI-E Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
3 hard drives;
Maxtor 6L100M0
WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1

Maxtor 6L300R0 (the one with the issue)
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Maxtor_Diamo...300R0/ps/623088

please Help me. :flowers: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

Have you gone into the bios and tried to reaquire the drive? If you may want to try shutting down disconnect the drive then boot up for a few minutes shut down again reconnect and see what happens on reboot.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

I would run a hard drive diagnostic, SeaTools for DOS, http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD.

Long/extended test.

Louis

#4 triforcecwp

triforcecwp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

i tryed unhooking it physicaly from my pc starting up and waiting a few minutes before shutting down again to re hooking it up, didnt do anything but it gave me a chance to clean out some dust. thanks phill for the sujestion. ( my bios is very bad on this board i dont recomend MSI to anyone. ive had major issues with it)

im in the process of running that tool Louis. thanks for the sujestion i guess u can navigate thier site better then i can, in order to find that. ill post again when i get the results after running ever single test.

Edited by triforcecwp, 18 October 2009 - 07:45 PM.

#5 triforcecwp

triforcecwp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:08 AM

Thanks for all your help, and information.
unfortunatly while i was running a series of tests that Access some of windows more sensitive features. there was a power outtage, causing my computer to royaly Bleep up. after 8 hours ive managed to get it back to the way it was. minus service pack 3 i will never update Again to.

as well my video card was over heating so i managed to clean it out and all seems Well for the moment. thanks again everyone. :flowers:

i apreshate the time and effort everyone on this site puts in an ill be sure to post if i know how to solve a problem. :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

Glad you came out OK, feedback appreciated. Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users