Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 indy777

indy777

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

This is my first post so hope I get this right.
For the last month or so I have been getting a ballon message on my task bar saying "Windows is preventing some startup programs from starting" When I check on which programs it's refering to,, it is Malwarebytes my anti malware software. It blocks it on every start up. Also it will disable defense and security part of my Comodo firewall. Now this only happens when I am starting my computer and once I restart what Defender has stopped it never happens again until I rebooted.
I have turned off Windows Defender in msconfig and the Windows firewall. It says they are disabled but I still get the same results on startup. I am at a loss as to how to prevent this from happening. I know these programs came with the system and can't be deleted but why would this just start happening. I have had the computer for a year.
Thanks for your help

HP Pavilion a6110n
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
Dual core 2.3 GHz
4 gig ram 320 Hard Drive
Vista Home Premium service pack 1

SuperantiSpyware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Comodo Firewall Pro
Avira Antvir Personal

Edited by The weatherman, 18 October 2009 - 05:52 PM.
Moved from Vista to a more appropriate forum. Tw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 indy777

indy777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

I guess this question doesn't warrent a reply. Not sure why but it would be nice if some one would tell me why.
This is my first post so a little courtesy would be nice.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

Are you using the paid version of Malware Bytes?

#4 indy777

indy777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:42 PM

No I am using the free version.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:43 PM

I guess the problem is that though a lot of us have Windows Defender and it does offer real time protection, it tends to be ineffective and we don't use it in favour of other things. I have never heard of Defender conflicting with anything. The free version of Malware Bytes doesn't have real time protection so it doesn't need to be part of your startup routine. I suggest you disable that.

#6 indy777

indy777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:58 PM

What do you suggest I use instead of Malwarebytes?

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:44 AM

The free version of Malware Bytes is an on demand scanner only. You can continue to use it that way.

#8 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:22 AM

My suggestion is keep MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) as an on-demand scanner. With the free version you need to manually keep it updated, but remove MBAM from your startup list. Run it periodically - weekly or monthly or whenever you think it necessary to check the health of your computer. Have you seen Add or remove items from the Windows Defender allowed list

#9 indy777

indy777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

OK I had a ah ha moment, Window Defender is blocking a program that doesn't need to be running any way because it's on demand rather than real time protection. I unchecked MBAM in Windows Config utility and rebooted. Problem solved. I really apreciate your time a patients with me. I could blame it on old age but 66 is not old is it??
Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users