Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best safety procedure?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

I am going to be upgrading my combo firewall/antivirus program (Kaspersky Internet Security). I kmow I have to go to my add/remove programs section in Windows XP to delete the 2009 version first. Am I supposed to be off the internet when I delete the older version? I know I have to restart my computer afterwards.
And I know I am to remain off the internet while downloading my new version from the cd.
I realize Windows will be giving me the urgent, annoying little message balloon that my system is at risk until the download is complete+updated.
I just unplug the cable from my modem to get off the internet entirely as there is no on/off switch.
Does it make a big difference to be on or off the internet when I delete the current version?
Thanks
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

I would unplug the cable modem before you uninstall it as you will be unprotected until after you install the new version.

Kaspersky probably has an uninstall program that would be better to use than the uninstall from add/remove programs. Look in you Kaspersky folder for it and if there is not one there, look on their website for it.

I cannot find an uninstall tool for it on their site and they do recommend using the add/remove programs method. If you would rather use the uninstall tool, I found a link to it in one of the pinned topics here.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/0...ware/#more-2878

The one for Kaspersky is number eight on the page

Edited by Stang777, 18 October 2009 - 08:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users