Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New LCD Monitor Blacks Out After Boot

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ramapoguy

ramapoguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

Hi! I just upgraded to a widescreen LCD monitor for my new HP desktop PC, but I'm having an unusual problem with it. Everything was fine the first time I started up Windows (Vista), but the resolution was still set for my old standard-aspect CRT monitor. I right-clicked on the desktop and went into the graphics menu to make some adjustments. When I set the resolution very high, the monitor would black out, but would come back fifteen seconds later due to the automatic countdown-reset that Windows uses to revert bad settings. I found a resolution that worked, and was adjusting some other options in the same menu -- I don't remember exactly what it was -- when the monitor blacked out again after a change and refused to come back. To be clear, the monitor's power remains on and the power indicator remains steady; the screen just cuts to black. When I reboot the computer normally, it looks fine until just after the green Windows load-progress bar; then it cuts to black and displays a 'No Signal' message when the Windows logo and password screen should come up. I know the computer itself is functioning, though, because I can still punch in my password and then perform a proper shutdown by blindly using the keyboard.

Here's where it gets very strange. If I reboot the computer and choose Safe Mode, everything loads and performs as it should, and the monitor functions without a problem. I think this is because Safe Mode has a very low natural resolution and does not include all of the standard graphics options, including whatever one I apparently messed with. Unfortunately, right-clicking the desktop in Safe Mode brings up only an abbreviated menu that does not include the same graphics menu as in regular mode, so I am unable to recreate the issue in Safe Mode the same way I did it in regular mode.

I would be grateful if anyone knows of a way I can repair or revert my graphics options, or if there is a problem I am missing entirely that you can offer advice on how to fix. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users