Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

share 1 computers wireless internet through router to 2nd computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 quickj

quickj

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:50 AM

i have a laptop with a wireless card in it, it is currently connected to my roomates internet connection (he is allowing it.). but i also have a desktop, and i dont want to spend money (im a college student, so im on a budget) to buy a wireless card for it. i have a linksys router, and i was wondering if it was possible, and how to, share the internet from my laptop through the router into my desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

This site explains how to do it with XP.

This site explains how to do it in Vista.

You can use the your router as a hub if you just turn off DHCP, that way you won't have to buy a cross over cable. The laptop would be the Host and the desktop is the client. You'll have to keep the laptop on and connected while on the desktop.

Now if you can or want to run a long cat5 cable from where the room mate's router is to where your desktop is, you could still use your router as a hub again just turn off DHCP.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 18 October 2009 - 10:57 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 quickj

quickj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:12 AM

thanks for the quick responce, but evertime i try to share my wireless internet a message pops up "an error occured while internet connection sharing was being enabled" not to mention everytime i plug in my linksys router to attempt to share to it, the wireless network loses internet, it still has networking capabilities.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

You have to go in and shut the DHCP off and if it has wireless turn that off too inside the Linksys. Look online on how to do it. And you don't share the router, look at the diagram on the XP page I linked. You'll connect wireless instead of having 2 network cards but it should still work.

Is this the full error you get -An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The dependency service or group failed to start? If so, have a look at this page

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users