Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iexplore

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Persephone

Persephone

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:09 AM

Okay I have a dozen Iexplore running . I close them but they keep starting back up. I found out that it is or could be a sneeky virus acting like Iexplore but the virus scan isnt finding anything. Can anyone tell me anything? Hope ive been clear enough :thumbsup:

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jadag

jadag

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:22 AM

I had the same problem till I installed a "pop-up blocker"

Sometimes they are launched by a malicious web-site and sometimes a small trojan is planted in your window or windows/system folders. Use a good Trojan hunting program.
Jadag (Montreal, Canada)

"If you know you're going to lose - lose quickly!"

#3 Persephone

Persephone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:23 AM

Ok thanks :)Would you recommend any certain one?
Ive ran Avast but it isnt finding anything. Ive found a few things myself well programs that I cant seem to find out what they are ...like m190309.exe but all the sites ive been to have not program like it in their data bases.

Posted Image

#4 jadag

jadag

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:57 AM

:thumbsup: Firstly go to http://www.firewallguide.com/anti-trojan.htm There a number of articles about trojans and some freeware programs.

There is also a free trial version of a very good program at http://www.trojanhunter.com/

I have found that there is a routine that most experienced users follow;

1. Go to Safe Mode (because it will speed things up)
2. Defrag your Hard Disk

Then run your security programs (still in safe mode) - the following are "must-have's"

1. Run Spybot Search & Destroy (search "Spybot" on Google)
2. Run Ad-Aware (search Ad-Aware on Google)
3. Run CWShredder (search Trend Micro on Google)
4. Run a Trojan hunter
5. Run your Antivirus software

If you still have problems after this, :flowers:

1. Download and run "HijackThis"
2. Copy the resulting report and paste it at the forum HijackThis Logs and Analysis which you will find under "Security: on the main page here.
3. There you will find experts far wiser than I :trumpet: , who will search the report and hunt for hidden "bugs" :inlove:

BUT you must do the above scans first to save then time. Have fun! :cool:
Jadag (Montreal, Canada)

"If you know you're going to lose - lose quickly!"

#5 mikex

mikex

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:19 PM

Firefox!!!!

Found only a handfull of sites I can't view properly in FF. Most are old sites that are not updated. You can even go to windows update with FF, with an extension.

Spybot S&D
Adaware
A2 (A squared)
Highjack This

Last but not least....use google to search the processes running in CTRL/ALT/DELETE and in msconfig.

M

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:01 PM

Follow these steps in order to keep your computer clean, secure, and running efficiently

Bleeping Computer - Simple steps to keep your computer secure!

Last but not least....use google to search the processes running in CTRL/ALT/DELETE and in msconfig.

:thumbsup: We have an on site Startup Database.

Startup programs are programs that are automatically started by Windows when the operating system starts. The problem is that many programs, viruses, hijackers, spyware, and other malware set themselves to start automatically when Windows starts. As more and more programs are started automatically, your computer's valuable resources are drained, thus making your computer start to operate slow.

This database will allow you to search for programs that you find starting automatically on your computer and determine if they are considered to be malware (harmful), unnecessary to run, or necessary to run. To examine your computer for programs that are automatically started by Windows, you can download and install Autoruns by Sysinternals. You can then search for entries found in the programs output using this database to determine if the program should be running. If from the information you decide they are not necessary to run, you can uncheck that entry in the Autoruns program and it will no longer start.

Bleeping Computer -> Startup Database

Grinler (Admin.) ~ I thought a beneficial topic to everyone, would be a list of freeware programs, that you can use instead of a commercial one.

Freeware replacements for common commercial apps

Edited by Scarlett, 04 August 2005 - 10:18 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Persephone

Persephone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for all your help! :thumbsup: Ill get started on it right now.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

There is also a free trial version of a very good program at http://www.trojanhunter.com/

:thumbsup: We here at Bleeping Computer, make an attempt to recommend free programs, if at all possible. That are comparable to paid programs.

a-squared (aČ) Free

Anti-Trojan, Anti-Worm, Anti-Dialer, and Anti-Spyware

a-squared (aČ) is a complementary product to antivirus software and desktop firewalls on MS Windows computers. Antivirus software specializes in detecting classic viruses. Many available products have weaknesses in detecting other malicious software (Malware) like Trojans, Dialers, Worms and Spyware (Adware). aČ fills the gap that malware writers exploit.

Posted Image

#9 Persephone

Persephone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:45 AM

In my attempts to fix my Iexplore problem..Umm I think I may have deleted my Iexplore.exe :thumbsup: I downloaded Iexplore6 and installed it but that did not help..oh lord what have I done? And can I fix it? If anyone can tell me :flowers:

And thank you all for you help I most appreciate it :trumpet:

Edited by Persephone, 07 August 2005 - 12:49 AM.

#10 Persephone

Persephone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 06:57 PM

I think I may have to have windows reinstalled and one of the people that we called about it said that we have to reinstall windows 98..said we cant install xp..something about having to install whatever is registered with the pc...is that true?

Edited by Persephone, 13 August 2005 - 06:59 PM.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

If it had XP working on it before you did the deletions it must have been upgraded to XP. XP will only run for a certain number of bootups without being validated, which if it was running on your computer, must have been done.

Do you have any Windows CDs? What exactly do you have?

Download Everest Home Edition (freeware)
and it will tell you everything that's installed on the computer including the key number for the operating system that is on it.

Download here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users