Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HD problems (Fdisk)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BlueScrn

BlueScrn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

I recently purchased a new HD for a toshiba laptop. In all respects besides size (GB) the two are the same. I backed up the old drive completely (windows and all) using Linux (CD boot) and an external. After inserting the new HD and booting up in Back Track 3 (from CD) the new drive did not appear mounted. The drive is physically connected, as I found out with
>fdisk /dev/hda

Then it went through my mind that the drive was not formatted, so I proceeded to format the new HD with the end result of

Disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 19457 156288321 7 HPFS/NTFS

The above was then written to the disk using "w"

After doing all of this the disk refuses to mount (I used >mount /dev/hda and >mount /dev/hda1 with no success.) Rebooting in linux did not fix this.

So I am stuck, I cannot copy my backup of the original HD onto the new drive because it will not mount.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:23 PM

It appears to me that you are failing to tell the mount command where to mount the partition. The mount command usually follows the format - mount, type file system, device to be mounted, where to mount it in the currently running file system.
Take a look at
man mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users