Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About To Purchase Thee Components for a big upgrade.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:21 PM

Alright, ive worked out all the details and problems except for a few few.

I originally own a dell, dimension 4600 added some ram slaved a harddrive got a radeon 9800 pro, and thats all in my tiny dell case. With only 1 120 mm fan.

So im getting the following.

A new motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813157034

A vga silencer for my 9800 pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835186110

And a new case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811208008

Im going to also take my processor/fans out of the dell, and put them into the new computer.

Now the only problem im thinking about is if my current heatsink will work with the new motherboard. I think it will because its an intel motherboard.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:31 PM

There's some really good, quiet heatsinks out there that should work with the newer motherboards. Your local computer store should sell some.

PS: Let me know how well your VGA silencer works. I have the NV version, and it doesn't put out much air at the back (It does cool the card, however).

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#3 TEB

TEB
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:42 AM

I was actually asking if anyone new if my current heatsink on the dell dimension 4600 would work on my new motherboard. ( the one i linked you to above)

Oh, and ill let you know about the silencer.

Edited by TEB, 31 July 2005 - 12:43 AM.

#4 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:06 AM

Well, I'm assuming you have an Intel processor with 478 pins, and I'm also assuming it has the stock heat sink. If this is the case, it should work becuase the motherboards are drsigned to handle all aspects of the processor they are built around. If you have a non-stock heat sink (like me) it should still fit, but you may need to remove the black bracket around the processor.

I'm pretty sure companies like Dell and HP use stock fans, but I haven't looked inside a name brand computer in forever.

(sorry if I sound unsure of myself. I'm more confident about your heat sink working than it may seem)

#5 TEB

TEB
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:38 AM

Alright thanks, Ive been pretty sure it would work since the beginning. Im using a stock heatsink....and plan on transfering the 120 mm fan to the new case and using the 2 other fans that come with the case.

I pretty much did this because it was getting so dang hot and roomless in my cheesy dell.

Thanks alot.

#6 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:11 PM

Glad I could help!

Hope all goes well,
Lanscader