Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud crackling noise???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 meaghan

meaghan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:59 PM

So my laptop has this loud crackling noise coming from it now. When it first start happening months ago it was very low & infrequent, then it started to get louder & happening more often. Now it's there constantly and I have to turn up my t.v. to hear it above the noise. Sometimes it depends on what I'm doing on my laptop as to whether or not the noise will die down for a very short period of time or start back up again louder than ever. I use to be able to give the laptop a little slap and it would disappear temporarily but that doesn't even work now. So my question to you is this, where is the noise coming from and does it mean my laptop is on its last legs. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, going on 3 years old. Thankyou for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

A crackling noise kind of sounds like an electrical short
Not good and potentially dangerous

Edited by garmanma, 17 October 2009 - 06:52 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

Garmanmas right sounds like a short. Could be something stuck in a fan, but I doubt it. do you leave it on all the time? if so turn it off, if not, leave it off and get it into a shop.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:51 AM

i reckon its the fan doing it
try to find where the sound is coming from and look if theirs a fan their

#5 MichaelMatirko

MichaelMatirko

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:34 PM

A crackling noise kind of sounds like an electrical short
Not good and potentially dangerous

This, or a fan doing something.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:32 PM

Large crackling noise
My bet is a leaking storage capacitor in the power supply
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users