Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with Startup (except in Safe Mode)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AaronBSam

AaronBSam

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

Upon coming home from work, I found out that the plumber who was fixing our apartment decided to unplug my computer's power strip from the wall (of course while my computer was on) in order to run a power tool. I have no clue if this was the start of my problem itself or just first brought it to light as it was the first time I'd restarted my computer in at least a week.

I turned my computer back on and it makes it all the way to logging me in (as the only user) and loading my background. No icons, taskbar, programs.

I tried a Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to my task manager, and it made the screen go black instead of background. I can use the keyboard to Esc out and go back to background or use the arrow keys and Enter to run what should be the Task Manager (after using keyboard to choose something from the black screen, it goes back to the background as it supposedly runs the option I blindly chose) but the program does not display.

After vigorously shaking the mouse, I can manage to get the cursor to display on the blank background, and right click for some basic options, but anything I choose seems to do nothing (or is doing something but I can't see it because all I see is the background and my cursor).

I have tried running in safe mode to use System Restore, but when I went back to the old restore point, the same issues occur and now I've run out of System Restore points so that option is gone. My computer came with Windows Vista pre-installed so I have no CD to do a Startup Restore (and it is not a listed option in my Advanced Boot Options).

I have tried all of my available Spyware/Malware programs (Spybot Search-and-Destroy, Malwarebytes and Avast) and they're all coming back clean. I tried a scandisk and chkdsk as well, to no avail.

Any advice would be helpful - please let me know of any diagnostic I can run to further assist in finding a solution to this problem!

UPDATE: The situation has only gotten weirder. I let it load up in non-safe mode and still have the issue of only seeing the background, but I'm sure there are still the normal processes running. So here at work, I tried my LogMeIn account and sure enough, it says my computer is online and logging in that way to remotely access my computer - now I can see all of my taskbar/icons/programs.

Why can I see them remotely logged in but not at my actual computer? Is there some driver/program that could be causing this? Again, malware and spyware checks with Spybot Search-and-Destroy, Malwarebytes and Avast are all clean!

Edited by AaronBSam, 18 October 2009 - 08:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users