Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need program to recover files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kobaltic

kobaltic

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

I am looking for a good program to recover files. My hard drive died. I used OnTrack to recover the files. However it only reports 30 gigs of drive space even though the hard drive is 300 gigs. Everything that got recovered does not work. Every time I just look at the recovery folder windows explorer crashes, I don't even have to select a file. I tried several other recovery programs with no success. I am looking for a program that can restore the entire drive.

Also, could there be a problem with the MBR not reporting the correct size of the drive?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

Perhaps you could try booting up with a Linux Live CD,
which may enable you to lift your personal files off,
onto an external USB drive.

Ubuntu 9.04 and Linux Mint 7, (Gloria), are pretty good distributions.

Others in these forums have previously suggested removing the hard drive from the computer
and hooking it up to another computer.

I prefer the Linux method, as it avoids interference by Windows.

Don't know about the MBR - others may be able to answer that point.

#3 kobaltic

kobaltic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

I have the hard drive in another computer but I still have the problems listed above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users