Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

25-50% packet loss

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hackman2007

hackman2007

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

On one of my computers, I'm having a very frustrating packet loss problem. It only happens on one computer and seems to happen to all sites.

I turned off the wireless security and reset the router and that seemed to work for a bit because the packet loss stopped. I turned the wireless security back on and the performance was still great. Today, I'm back to losing packets again. It even happens when I ping the router.

Anyone have any clues as to how to solve this issue? Moving away from wireless on this computer is not possible.

Router
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT

Computer
It is using a Linksys WUSB54GSC. It does have 64 bit drivers.
Operating system is Windows 7 RTM 64 bit

Edited by hackman2007, 17 October 2009 - 11:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:04 AM

You are saying you have packet loss when you ping some websites and/or your router? Can you post what you are seeing?

How long did you disable the wireless security? Without resetting the router if you turn off the security do you still have packet loss?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 hackman2007

hackman2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

Updating this thread.

There isn't really anything to show about the ping results. I send 4 packets using the ping command and about half of them just say "Request Timed Out", even when I ping the router.

I had the wireless security off for about a week or so, then turned it back on as a test.

Right now, I've just about given up on the security. I configured the router to not show the SSID, I put a MAC filter on so only the wireless computer could access, disabled remote administration, blocked ICMP packets, and limited the amount of DHCP users to 4 (4 computers).

I think it is some sort of authentication issue. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to test out exactly what the problem is, so this will have to do, for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users