Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo grb on a Mac Tiger OS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

:wacko: So I don't know what to do for sure with it (Vundo grb) since it says its a PC based spybot but its using up memory but I know of no programs for Macs with this problem and I know Apple keeps saying they don't need such a program because Macs don't get stuff but I think they are starting to be affected and I figure they don't want to admit it.

Anyway, I made another post on the Security Log forum here and thought it was the right place but now I figure maybe I should have put it here, so I will repost here and hopefully somebody can give me a clue or two.

Thanks. :blink:

Edited by kcsummer, 17 October 2009 - 11:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

:blink: I just got off the phone with Apple Support and they gave me the name of a program called Protect that I can download from their site and run free for 30 days and they said that should take care of it so I'm going to do that and see what happens.

I just went to Apple's website and typed in Protect and the program came up and I am downloading.

So, here goes, thanks. :wacko:

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for letting us know you are working with Apple support.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

Update your thread to let us know how it goes, OK?

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

How did you identify the malware???
Could it be that popup told you that you were infected?
Saw this happen to other Mac users and the solution was to simply flush their browser cache.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:06 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

How I knew I was infected, I just was running my systems monitor which I do from time to time and I noticed a file that had this name/number attached and it said it was for a pC-based mac which made it stand out. I typed the name of the file into google and it led me here where it confirmed my suspicion it was malware.

After I downloaded the free program from Apple web site, I could never get it to open successfully. I got an error code which I talked with Apple about and they said based on the code there was something wrong with the file and that they would get hold of the 3rd party publisher. In the meantime they suggested I drag it to the trash and I did and have kept an eye open for it to reappear but it hasn't so hopefully its gone.

That is what my instincts told me to do to begin with but I wanted to be sure I shouldn't do more and thats why I left my posts here and why I called Apple since I'm not up to speed on the current philosophy regarding macs and malware.

But thanks for your suggestions and interests. you have a cool/helpful website here, very impressive, thanks. I told my friends about you. :blink:

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

Oh, Buddy, no it wasn't a case of Scareware, I never got any popup notice like that. I just noticed a strange file showing up on the system monitor program. Thanks.

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

May be a stupid question but how did a PC bug get installed and running on a Mac?
Can you show a screenshot of the system monitor with cnql1213.dnl listed?
I didn't find any info on cnql1213.dnl from my google search. I did find something about cnql1213.dll though which has to do with Windows but not OS X. Plus another on Canon drivers. Do you use any Canon printers/scanners with the Mac?

#9 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:10 AM

May be a stupid question but how did a PC bug get installed and running on a Mac?
Can you show a screenshot of the system monitor with cnql1213.dnl listed?
I didn't find any info on cnql1213.dnl from my google search. I did find something about cnql1213.dll though which has to do with Windows but not OS X. Plus another on Canon drivers. Do you use any Canon printers/scanners with the Mac?

Interesting you should mention that, as i do have a Canon scanner and I do think thats where it came from. However, I never downloaded anything from a website I got all the drivers and stuff from the diskette that came with the scanner which I purchased from Amazon.com and to the best of my knowledge thats the only place I got the software. Anyway, I think you have it right that is where it came from.

I can't give you a webshot coz I already erased it. But I feel safe in saying its a result of my Canon scanner because there was also a button control at the same time that went with my scanner.

So I guess thats mystery solved sort of. Thanks, sorry to be so late getting back. :wacko: :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users