Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tutorial: Multilevel taskbar with program icons

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

I searched the forum, and couldn't find the exact same thing. If this is a repost, then I apologize.

I have had quite a few people message, email and PM me
"Allan! How do you get those icons on your taskbar to line up?!?" or
"How can I make my taskbar look cool like yours?"

Well here's how. It's simple really.

Allan.

Go to your documents folder. Create new folders (for example, I have "Audio Video", "Internet", "Office" and "Blank".)

In each but the "Blank" folder, I have made short cuts to programs
(in Office, there are shortcuts to all Microsoft programs I use, Word, Outlook, Streets and Trips etc)

Posted Image

When you've put your icons in your folders go to your desktop.
Right click on the taskbar, and make sure there is no check beside "Lock Taskbar"
Then make the taskbar double (or triple) height
Right click on the taskbar, hover over "Toolbars", then left click "New Toolbar..."
Posted Image

Navigate to the folders you made (one at a time), and select the folder, then click the button that says "Select Folder"
Posted Image

The taskbar will appear, but will not be 'set up'. To do that,
Drag it to the bottom of the taskbar, and move an open window (IE / Fx etc) to the top, that'll make each 'bar' single height.
Right click on the NAME of the taskbar, and uncheck "Show Text" and if you would like, uncheck "Show Title"
Do the same for all the taskbars you have, and move them to the left.
Posted Image

Below, is what my current desktop looks like as of 2009-08-24
Posted Image

So from the above image you can see
Top Level has open programs - Firefox, Paint, and on the far right - where it never moves from, and you can do that too - WMP.
Bottom Level my omni-present Audio Video, Internet and Office bars. The titles are pulled from the NAME of your folder that you created in step one.[/size]
Edit: in Windows 7, my WMP has moved to the left where it's "pinned." since I can no longer have the good version of WMP like in Vista/XP etc.
ce la vie I suppose.

Edited by _Allan_, 17 October 2009 - 03:24 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:26 PM

That's sick! I just did it, I left some folders on my desktop though, but made an internet, games, and photo editing toolbar :thumbsup:

Edited by xblindx, 17 October 2009 - 06:26 PM.

#3 _Allan_

_Allan_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:46 AM

blind - the nice thing is, taking icons off the desktop will actually SPEED UP your boot time. Icons on the desktop take longer for some reason, then they do in the taskbar.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users