Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Port problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 murasakitsune

murasakitsune

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:29 AM

Hi~

My Compaq Evo has 6 USB ports, 4 in the back and 2 in the front, however the 2 in front no longer work. >_<
One of them is bent and I'm not sure if it's worth fixing or replacing, but the other one appears to be fine.
I was hoping to at least get that one working again, but I can't even find it in the Device Manager. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks~
- aj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

Which Compaq Evo exactly do you have?

On some models, behind the front USB ports is a circuit board with a cable that leads to the motherboard, so it could be disconnected, faulty, etc.

It is more likely you have 4 USB ports and 6 possible places to plug in.

Have the front ports ever worked?

What happens (or doesn't happen) when you plug a working USB device into the non bent front USB port?

What do you see in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers, or what do you not see that you think you should?

If you are not sure of your model:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork and assumptions.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users