Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I hate leftovers!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jdoty

jdoty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:00 AM

Second post so be gentle please.
Running Vista Ultimate 64
Setting up new computer, had a bad install of some sofware.
You know how when you're installing software and the software asks you to reboot the system to continue the install?
Well, this install was for some soundcard sofware and it crashed during the install.
Now, whenever I restart Vista, I see this leftover screen for a zillionth of a second before Vista restarts.
I think it was the sofware screen asking if I wanted to restart Vista, but I can't be sure because it goes by so fast.

Is there a way to get rid of this screen?

Edited by jdoty, 17 October 2009 - 08:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

You might need to uninstall it and try again
Try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove any leftovers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Another thing to double-check would be to do a couple of malware and an AV scan
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jdoty

jdoty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:30 PM

Appreciate the info. Unfortunately, the screen goes by so fast I'm not really sure what software it is.
Makes it hard to tell the cleanup program what to clean up.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

#4 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:15 AM

CCleaner may help
Tom

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

Appreciate the info. Unfortunately, the screen goes by so fast I'm not really sure what software it is.

I thought you said it was sound card software?
============================================================

@ tpm

This is Bleeping computer's stand on registry cleaners. That includes ccleaner

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for a several reasons:

:huh: Registry cleaners can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Many users (including some Staff Members) have reported problems after using registry cleaning tools - to include those tools released by Microsoft. This can cause your system to become unbootable.

:huh: Registry cleaners generally don't do anything significant for your system. This topic discusses it in greater detail than we could address here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015 Although the topic discusses the XP registry, the concepts there apply to all other versions of Windows.

:huh: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of your registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting/logging in, then there's no backup to restore in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:14 AM

I didn't know your stand on registry cleaners. Sorry. I however never had an issue in all the years using this particular one. :huh:
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users