Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ZA PROGRAM ALERT SCREEN GOES BLANK

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kgirl

kgirl

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:14 PM

Humble apologies if this is not the right place for this. HP Pavilion Desktop w/windowsME as op/sys. Have various security programs installed, including AVG. Because I have AVG, I have the AV and email scanner turned off in ZA. This has happened to me twice, and both times after a scandisk and defrag. ZA will be working fine, the Alert events screen and the Program Alerts screen will have entries, but the sometimes after a scan disk and defrag, the program alert screen will go blank. I've read that maybe ZA and AVG aren't compatible, that maybe one or the other needs to be configured a certain way. Both times I've uninstalled and then reinstalled ZA. When I do a reinstall, I disconnect from the internet, close any running programs and/or browser windows, and I shut down AVG. When I scandisk and defrag, it's in safe mode. I've been to several different forums and cannot find an answer. Would appreciate any help anyone could give.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:58 PM

There has been several issues with running ZA on Win98 & ME, there has been many successes with loading ZA after opening Task Manager (ctrl + alt + delete) and end task on everything except explorer & systray.

Download and save ZA to a folder the install after ending all tasks.

I know you mentioned you close all running programs but I am not sure you are doing it this way. :thumbsup:

#3 kgirl

kgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:12 PM

You're right, RiverRat, I never even gave that little trick a thought, and should have. I've had to do that before when installing something. Don't know why I didn't think of that. It makes sense. Thank you!!! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Color me embarrassed!
Thanks

#4 kgirl

kgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:34 PM

RiverRat I do have another question:

My system installs ZA without a problem. Program alerts are shown properly for a while. With time, te laert logs for programs (not firewall, which work fine), fo blank. Do you think this is an installation problem or possibly a configuration setting problem with ZA and AVG? Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate any further feedback you could provide.
Thanks

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:10 PM

I don't think it would be a configuration problem as much as a compatibility problem.
The programs that are said to be compatible with all OS's probably are to a curtain extent but I also keep in mind that the programmers are also shooting to keep up with the times therefore leaving the diehard oldtimers behind.
I find that the biggest problem with compatibility problems are caused from adware &/or malware or a running program interfering in the install.
I run AVG & ZA on my 98SE test machine and it runs great but I use the method stated above when installing. I also do not use the e-mail plugin in AVG it is not needed (disable it).
I am also a believer in CCleaner.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner.html

Edited by River_Rat, 30 July 2005 - 11:11 PM.

#6 kgirl

kgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the above information River Rat, but if I disable the email plug-in for AVG, then I won't have email scanning. Are you instead recommending that I use the email scanner that ZA has instead of the personal email scanner in AVG? I also have an email account that I use Outlook Express for, and if I turn the email scanner off, won't I then not be protected in OE?
Thanks

#7 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:56 PM

Sorry, but the arguments are specious at best and poorly thought out.  Email
scanning is promoted by vendors simply because it makes users "feel good."
It has no other useful purpose and instead creates problems for users by
creating timeouts with ISP's while waiting for the proxy to do its
uneccesary and useless job.

Antivirus screeners in fact, create problems for users.  Many have a long
history (McAffee in particular) of damaging users stored messages and in
many cases deleting them without possibility of ever being retrieved.
Screen a few thousand messages on these Outlook Express newsgroups and you
might change your mind.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/micros...e3a0ea7384bb53d

Microsoft Public Newsgroups
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

#8 kgirl

kgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:16 PM

Ok, Bud. Thaniks for the information. ZA is working OK at the moment, and if I do have to reinstall it, I'll shut everything down but Explorer and Systray.

kgirl
Thanks

#9 falcon1

falcon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

Try setting your security FIREWALL on the "MAIN" tab from HIGH toMedium (maybe you have it there already...?...)just to check if it helps your challenge, if it does then it is a simple setting solution.

Compatibility
In a World without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users