Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSoD problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 matty34

matty34

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:24 AM

Hello BC.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post, wasn't sure where I should post this. But I know I could rely on you guys to help me.

So it starts from last night or early this morning. I was browsing the internet, I opened up two more tabs to websites and it then froze (it usually does this) so I just waited, I then moved my mouse and left clicked. Soon as I done this, my computer just switched off and restarted itself. I saw the Blue Screen of Death and thought to myself, "Oh great" as most people would...

I tried to see whether I could go to the last known good config, but that failed. I then tried safe mode, but when it was loading SPTD.sys (told me at the bottom of the screen) it then vanished and the computer once more restarted itself... I pressed F8 when starting the computer up and I got the advanced options or something like that. I tried a few of them, the first one I went on though was "Debugging Mode" whether that was a good choice or not I have no idea, however it allowed me to access my desktop but it was slower than usual.

I took a picture of the BSoD so I could check what it says, this is what is said:

L_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL:

Stop: 0x0000000a (0x00000000, 0x0000001C, 0x00000001, 0x804FB03C)

Any help for me to resolve this problem is appreciated!
Matty34.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 malware_terminator

malware_terminator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

Hey Matty,

Although there are many causes for BSOD errors, including NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, one common cause of this error message is faulty memory (RAM). You might try running Memtest86 to see if you have a bad memory module inside. IF so, try switching out the memory and see if that corrects the problem.

Good luck

Robert
www.computerdoctors-rx.com

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:35 AM

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Click on OA in left column, read.

You might do a search of your system for any .dmp files which may provide additional clues.

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

System manufacturer and model?

Did you try Last Known Good Configuration?

Louis

Sptd.sys is a driver common to both Alcohol120 and DaemonTools--if you had either one installed, that's likely causing the issue cited in that message, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/sptd.sys-13477.html.

Edited by hamluis, 17 October 2009 - 08:37 AM.

#4 matty34

matty34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:41 AM

I done the mem test. That passed fine.

@Hamluis - I've tried Last Known Good Configuration and it didn't work..

Should I use Debugging mode to gain access to my desktop to remove anything which could possibly make the BSOD happen as I can't get into Safe Mode?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

I've never heard of "debugging mode", so I can't say.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Now that I've looked it up, I don't see anything that woud ever make me use it.

This is one explanation of debugging mode: Debugging Mode: Starts Windows XP/2000/2003 in kernel debugging mode, which allows you to use a kernel debugger for troubleshooting and system analysis.

This is all beyond my familiarity...I'm not a coder:).

Probably a useful tool...for someone other than myself.

Louis

#6 matty34

matty34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

Hmm..

I uninstalled SPTD.sys, then rebooted it, trying to get into safemode.. I now get stuck @ mud.sys - people said that Daemon tools may still be installed, even if I have uninstalled it. I located it in programs files, but I cant uninstall it (need 2000 OS or higher...

Anyone go any ideas where I can go from here? I'd rather try and avoid reformatting my computer. But it slowly looks like that is what I am going to end up doing..

Oh and I checked the event reviewer, said that SPTD was giving errors and such, so I think that is the problem - shame I just cant fix it properly..

#7 matty34

matty34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

So.

I've gained access to my desktop the normal way now.. I just don't have access to Safe Mode, stop loading at mup.sys - no worries though, i'll probably end up reformatting it once I back my files up.

This can be locked now.

Thanks BC <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users