Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.NET updates not installing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lancruiser

lancruiser

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:06 AM

Hi all, I have 3 MS updates that won't install. They all seem to pertain to older versions of .Net Framework. One fellow on BC whos thread I was reading this afternoon but can't find now, suggested deleting all the old .Net framework programs and provided a link to the MS download site where you can download the latest .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and the old updates would go away. I checked in my add or remove programs and I already have .Net 3.5 SP1 installed with 3 updates but also have 1.1, 2 and 3 and all their relevent updates installed.
My question: Can I simply uninstall all the earlier .Net Framework progies so MS update will stop persisting or will that upset the system.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Ernie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:19 AM

The topic you want is

'Security Update KB953297 Fails'

I await a reply from Microsoft. (Not holding my breath).

If they offer nothing but references to KB articles,
I will attempt to uninstall all the .net framework programs (I have the same as you).

From what I have read, some programs need some versions of the framework to run and will
not allow uninstallation, some are related to the OS.

It will most likely be necessary to reinstall any programs affected.

If that's a bit vague, it's because I've never had the problem before
and I am also looking for solutions.

Edited by battysurreal, 17 October 2009 - 05:38 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

No program...can prevent MS.NET from being uninstalled.

What's supposed to happen...is a Windows warning that uninstalling this program (MS.NET) may impair some other programs installed. This is just the typical cautionary message from Windows.

MS.NET, like any other program or file...is capable of becoming damaged/corrupted. In such instances, uninstalling and reinstalling is the only way to get the program to function in a healthy manner.

If a given program needs an MS.NET version which is not included in the 3.5 SP1 download...it will prompt the user to install that version. Examples of such programs include nLite and ATI drivers, neither of which have ever prompted me to install an earlier/older version of MS.NET (I uninstalled all the others and installed the 3.5, SP1 version).

Louis

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

Posting in both threads for update problem.

Louis has sound words of advice.

Uninstall / reinstall / update works.

Could not remove any version of the framework through Add/Remove
but there are applications out there that will assist.

I used Aaron Stebner's dotnetfx cleanup tool.

Thank you, Louis, back to 'Happy Computing' (until the next time).

#5 lancruiser

lancruiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for that folks. I'll give it a go.

Cheers
Ernie

#6 lancruiser

lancruiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

OK, this is what I did to fix it... Start--> Control panel --> Add or Remove Programs --> Uninstall everything to do with .Net Framework 1 / 1.1. Wouldn't let me uninstall .Net FW 2 or 3. Highlight .Net 2 and at the right you have "Remove"and "Change". Select "change" and Windows automatically performs a repair install on .Net FW 2. Then on the left beneath where it says ".Net Framework 2 SP2" there's a link "Click here for support information". A small window opens with 2 links. Click on the link next to "Product Updates". This link takes you to the MS .Net Developer Centre (Not the Download centre) where you can download a repair copy of .Net FW 3.5 SP1. Click on instal it now and during the course of the download it will ask if you want to "Repair" or "uninstall". Select Repair. At the end of installation it will link you with the MS Update page where you should select "Custom" and download the new updates.
All better now.
Cheers,
Ernie

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:19 AM

Whatever works for you ! :thumbsup:

Just to wrap this up, Microsoft have now belatedly replied with this link to the dotnetfx cleanup tool:

http://windowsuu.com/tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

They disclaimed liability for this third party application,
but seemed content to recommend its use for removal if there were
difficulties with Add/Remove.

If you can uninstall successfully, by whatever method,
there should be no problem in reinstalling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users