Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

shutting down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 speersy

speersy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:38 PM

I am still having problems trying to shut down windows and my computer.I do what I would normally do but screen stays and with no intension of closing down.I am having to switch of at plug which some say can damage the hard drive so I really need help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:57 PM

You have something hanging the computer up at shutdown, whether it's a program, a corrupted file, a sound or whatever.

Go to start/run/msconfig and see what programs are running.

Had you installed anything new just before this problem started?

#3 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:01 PM

Hi a hung application prevents shutdown

If for some reason your computer wont turn off or a frozen application prevents you from shutting down in the normal ways-you can use the following procedure. be aware, however, that you won't get an opportunity to save open documents. Windows shuts down immediately-no WINDOWS IS SHUTTING DOWN or other messages. To performan emergency shutdown press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to display Task Manager. Open the Shut Down menu and hold down the Ctrl key as you click, Turn off. POOF.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users