Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My new eternal HDD "clicks"!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

I bought a new Seagate external hard drive. I'm beginning to be alarmed by the odd clicking noises it makes. Cuh-LICK, cuh-LICK.

I'm running a check disk on it right now, and it does not seem to have any problems or errors. It runs fine, but it makes weird clicking noises. I really wish I would have thought to do something about this sooner, because I've got it full of stuff now that I would have to put on something else if I sent it back in for repair (or just returned it--hopefully I didn't toss the box!).

Yep, I guess I'm kind of dumb. :thumbsup:

If I put a book underneath it (big trade paperback at the moment), it seems to click less, though it still does it.

Maybe this is just something Seagate externals do?

Again, it seems to work fine, but the noises alarm me. I sure hope it's not going to lose any data or crash on me.

It's on phase 4 of the check right now. I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to cancel the check after I started it, so I hope it's not going to click all dang night long!

It's a 1.5TB Seagate External. Here's the Amazon product page (which is where I bought it from, just shy of a month ago). Amazon--Seagate 1.5TB external

Thanks for any help or advice you guys can give me. I really hope this is just its normal behavior, because I'm not sure what to do otherwise except buy a new one and throw the money away. :huh:

If it's broken or dying or DOA, my best idea would be to go to Best Buy, get the exact same one (hopefully one that works and doesn't click!), copy all the info to the new one, format the old one, and return the old one as the new one for the refund (old switcheroo). Immoral? Yes. Out of desperation? Yes. (Wouldn't work if they check serial numbers, either.)

Edited by Jesse_Dylan, 17 October 2009 - 12:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

Hard drives do sometimes make a clicking noise [click of death] when getting ready to go belly-up
Hard drive noises-some examples:
http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

Yikes, I guess that settles it then. I really blew it. I'd better leave it turned off and get a new one to copy the data onto ASAP before it bellies up. I was lame to throw away the box and to not take care of this when I first got it.

Thank you! I sure have been having the HDD issues lately. :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

Had I read the last few sentences of your post, I wouldn't have even bothered to answer your question
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

I bought a new one from Amazon, a different brand. I plan to copy everything to that one and then contact Seagate about the broken one. So I guess I'll have two, if they fix the broken one. You have to understand the frustration, though. It's depressing to flush $150 down the toilet that you don't have. I never said the switcheroo was a good idea, just my "best" idea (I really had no good ideas).

Edited by Jesse_Dylan, 17 October 2009 - 04:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users