Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kos13

Kos13

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

Here is the long version of my problems. Below is the short version:

I got a virus (AVCare) yesterday. I thought I had caught it using SuperAntiSpyware; however, when I rebooted, I kept getting error message about Run32dll, and I was unable to start any spyware/malware/virus removal programs (they would quickly shut down after I started them, or I'd get an error message during installation). Windows Explorer kept crashing and restarting. I was able to reboot and get to my desktop, but I kept getting the Explorer errors and restarts. During one of my many random reboots, I found myself staring at a black screen after booting up. I can see the cursor, and I can get the "sticky keys" window to pop up, but I can't use CTRL+ALT+DEL or anything like that. Since then, I've been unable to boot to anything BUT the black screen. I've tried normal startups, all forms of Safe Mode, System Restore, Last Known Good Configuration, etc. They all immediately give me a black screen on startup, though. How do I fix this virus problem when I'm completely unable to access ANYTHING? The only "program" I've been able to get to was command prompt via Repair Your Computer; I can't access anything through normal boots or Safe Mode, though. Please help!

Edited by Kos13, 16 October 2009 - 10:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

A rebuild may be needed BUT try the Security Forum first - there's a heading there "Am I infected? What do I do?".

#3 Kos13

Kos13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:32 AM

I tried System Restore; the earliest point I could restore to was roughly the time the virus was introduced into the system, though. With a constant black screen, I felt like I had no choice, so I did it. I was able to restart in normal mode without the black screen. However, Windows Explorer still crashes constantly. I am unable to access any type of spyware/virus protection program, and I cannot use HiJack This to post a log. Any antivirus-type program I try to run "disappears" 2-3 seconds after it starts a scan.

I'm not even sure where I found this, but in one of the 400 places I looked online for help, someone suggested typing "sfc /scannow" in CMD. I don't know what it's supposed to repair, but it found some corrupt files. The ones it couldn't fix are scheduled to be repaired after my next reboot; however, with the black screen scare I've had, I'm sort of afraid to shut down the computer. I'm going to attempt to post the log below. I have no idea if any of this will matter, but just in case...

EDIT: Mozilla keeps freezing when I try to post the log file. If it's potentially helpful, let me know, and I'll keep trying to post it before the browser freezes. Also, the virus is keeping the computer from recognizing the disc drive. I was going to try to install ClamWin virus scan via a disc or a portable device, but it's hopeless since the computer won't recognize the drive.

Edited by Kos13, 17 October 2009 - 05:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users