Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is the Skype wireless headset Linux compatible?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ce2006

ce2006

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

The question really amounts to whether or not the wireless interface for the Skype wireless is supported on Linux, as this will determine if the Skype wireless headset will work or not.

Does anyone know? Is anyone actually using the Skype wireless headset with Skype for Linux?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

Hi,
Does the headset have a nano-receiver or some doohickey like that that plugs in somewhere in the computer? Or is it Bluetooth?

Hi,
Does the headset have a nano-receiver or some doohickey like that that plugs in somewhere in the computer? Or is it Bluetooth?

#3 ce2006

ce2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:24 AM

To answer your question, it is not bluetooth, but "wireless", and fits into a USB port. Full info here:
http://shop.skype.com/intl/en-nz/headsets/...k-wireless.html

I'm not sure the particular wireless adapter is supported under Linux, hence my question. No point in buying something if someone knows they don't work on Linux systems. OTOH, if anyone has used one and confirms it's Okay on Linux, then it's worthwhile buying.

When I asked the question on Skype Help, the guy who replied said he thought it would probably work, but I want to know for sure, not go on someone's best guess that might be wrong.

#4 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

The skype requirements for this product do not allow Linux, although that's what skype says. It's a USB wireless receiver, so test it on your laptop with skype. As skype is made for windows mac and Linux, it should work on Linux. Just try. If it doesn't work, send it back.

#5 ce2006

ce2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:17 PM

Thanks! Good thinking! Now why didn't I think of that?

#6 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:50 PM

I don't know. Why didn't you? Anyway, this topic can now be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users