Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

repair xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cowboyken072474

cowboyken072474

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

I am trying to repair install xp on a hard drive. However I do not know what service pack it is running. I have been told that I have to use a disc with the correct service pack on it to repair the installation correctly. when I hook up this drive on another computer( as a slave drive) , is there a way to figure out which service pack is on it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:48 PM

You don't need to.

If you try to do a repair install with an earlier version...it will call that to your attention...and you can just stop.

Of course, the easy way out would be to create a slipstreamed CD containing SP3...and use that for the repair.

Louis

#3 cowboyken072474

cowboyken072474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

I've got a cd with sp3 on it. Now that I try to boot to it and repair the installation I get a blue screen that says "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" Is this how it calls it to my attention or is it something else?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

The question is...do you have a CD with Microsoft Genuine XP on it...or do you have a recovery/restore CD provided by the system manufacturer?

They are not the same, although they generally have the same purpose.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 October 2009 - 02:26 PM.

#5 cowboyken072474

cowboyken072474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

microsoft genuine xp. I tried again and again and got past the error I stated before. It seemed to take a long time to check for previous installations of windows. When it finally popped up I chose my drive to reinstall and then got another blue screen with a new error. I believe it was REGISTRY_ERROR. I know it said something about the registry. I hooked it up to another computer so I could scan it for viruses and spyware etc. The scans are running now.

#6 cowboyken072474

cowboyken072474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

Is there any chance that when I boot to the installation cd in my other computer it will recognize the damaged os from the other pc. And then I can choose that drive to repair/reinstall.??

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

I repeat...recovery/restore CDs are not the same as an Microsoft XP install CD.

With a valid CD and following the correct procedures to attempt a repair install...certain system problems will prevent a repair from being an effedctive remedy to what is wrong.

Among these are RAM and hard drive problems...as well as malware.

It helps if you post the exact content of error messages, as they appear onscreen.

<<Is there any chance that when I boot to the installation cd in my other computer it will recognize the damaged os from the other pc. And then I can choose that drive to repair/reinstall.??>>

Since I know nothing about this "other system" or the "installation CD" for said system...I cannot provide a better than I have presented thus far.

What was your original reason...for attempting a repair install of XP?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users