Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't install new hardware automatically

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Richiiee

Richiiee

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

I just got a Dell Inspiron 9300 from a friend and formatted the hard drive because he had about 4 years of data and use on it so I wanted to start fresh. Installed Windows XP and downloaded SP2 on my other computer (what I'm on now) and put it on my flash stick, then put it on the 9300 and installed SP2 fine. Installed graphics card drivers the same way, worked fine. (nVidia Geforce 6800 Go). But Windows won't automatically recognize the hardware in the laptop. Sound, wireless network card, and some other things aren't recognized. Control panel says there's no sound card or wireless card, but there obviously is, and it was working before I formatted the hard drive. I downloaded Inspiron 9300 drivers and installed fine, and got my bluetooth working but it didn't recognize the sound or wireless yet. XP even didn't recognize the graphics card until I installed its drivers. It just referred to it as Default Monitor. The thing is I don't know the model type of the sound card, wireless card or other parts since Windows won't even show me that they're there. My friend had pre-installed Dell software before I formatted so I'm thinking the drivers were pre-installed with that software. But there has to be a way to get them back.

Does anybody know what I can do to get the sound and wireless internet working? I'll probably be able to find its drivers once I can find out how to make Windows recognize that the hardware is actually there. It obviously has to be since it's a laptop so it's not like I took it out. I'd prefer to find out how to get the wireless internet working first so I can use it to find a fix on the internet rather than having to use a different computer.

Dell Inspiron 9300
1.73GHz Centrino Processor
1.00 GB DDR2 533MHz RAM
100GB HDD
CD-RW/DVD-RW

Thanks!

Edited by Richiiee, 16 October 2009 - 05:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

wireless driver at http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

Go here. Enter the requested info and get all your need`d drivers.

They will be the right ones and all in on place from a trusted source.

#4 Richiiee

Richiiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

Thanks guys, I got the sound and wireless drivers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users